+ Reply to Thread
Page 134 of 200 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I've got a slow W7 PC here that could do with a dose of Linux,
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

The machine was so slow that I was beginning to think the hardware might be faulty, so a Linux stick was tried and it ran quite well, so then installed Linux to the internal hard drive.

Forgot to mention that my friend uses a mobile USB dongle to get internet, either the dongle had drivers on it, or Linux automatically installed the required drives, excellent.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Bugger. I was looking for some images on the PC and realised that the 'My Scans' folder has vanished. Done a search and it's not to be found.

Rapidly approaching a Win 7 reinstall I think. A number of glitches have been occuring lately. That'll be half a day of my time to get set up how I like it!

(no, I don't want to hear about Linux, I have that available if I want it )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

That's very strange, was the folder on the desktop?
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

No. In Pictures.

Even a system restore didn't bring it back and I know it only vanished in the last day or so, 'cos I'd used it. Good job it only contained scans of stuff I have as hard copies. Annoying though.

I'm Alex.

The reason for asking is, I think that very occasionally, I have had stuff that was on the desktop vanish when I have done a system restore.

I still clone my drive at least once per week to a second HD inside the machine. This drive in normal use is disabled, except when cloning, using Device Manager. I also clone to an external HD occasionally.

For cloning I use either Maxblast of Diskwizard, and do this before going to bed, leaving it to auto shut-down on completion, takes just over an half an hour.
    Last edited by spendorman; 18-09-2017 at 08:53.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    The reason for asking is, I think that very occasionally,I have had stuff that was on the desktop vanish when I have done a system restore.
    Can't recall losing stuff from Desktop after system restore.

I do no back-up. As I keep nothing crucial on the PC.

Just about to do the obvious, which I should have thought of. I'll do a scan and see where the PC wants to save it to. Maybe that will find the missing file.

I'm Grant.

Have you tried this in Windows Explorer:
    Click on Tools
    Click on Folder Options
    Click on the View tab
    Under Hidden files and folders click in the circle next to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"

If the files are just hidden and not deleted you should see them. If they are hidden there is a way to unhide them.

failing that a file recovery program might find them.

worst scenario might be if a part of the disc has been classed as faulty and it contained that folder. Disc check might help there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

The folder might have moved, be it unintentionally by you, or some other way, perhaps do a search on a file name that you know to be in the folder.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

No tools option shown in windows explorer.

Just did a scan and the PC wanted to save it in documents. No 'My Scans' folder shown.

Not to worry. I'll reinstall windows (when I can be bothered ). It's overdue. Must be couple of years since it last became necessary.

+ Reply to Thread