Page 149 of 200 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Alex.

Thanks Grant, that is useful info.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I got into MSconfig, was able to select safe boot, rebooted machine, and this time when it booted I did not get the error message on the desktop, however, machine still not working properly.

I went into MSconfig again and under the tools tab, selected System Restore, however this did not work.

Meantime, a friend reminded me that some months ago that he told a problem with Lenovo machines where the C drive was not really big enough for W10 + updates. This causing a crash.

The machine I'm playing with has an 8 GB SSD and a 1TB, I presume, mechanical drive.

I looked up the requirements for W10.

"Hardware requirements
    The presentation “Minimum System HW Requirements & Compatibility for Windows Platforms” (PPTX) details what is needed to run Windows 10 on both desktop and mobile. It doesn’t disclose everything you need to know, but screen size, memory, storage, graphics, and firmware are all mentioned.
    Here are the desktop requirements:

This is clearly aimed at computer makers. It’s thus worth adding that the Windows 10 technical preview has these requirements:
    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    • A Microsoft account and Internet access
    "

This might be the problem, lack of space.

I'm not doing any more today, going to suggest tomorrow to the owner, that I install W7 or Linux Mint.
    Alex, the Lenovo uses a hybrid drive which uses Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (RST) whereby the SSD (of only 8gb) is used effectively as a cache and the 1tb drive for installation of the operating system, programs and data. Install the latest RST drivers/software from Intel -hopefully that cures the problem. It may be that Intel have not yet released an updated RST driver for the latest Windows update - but I doubt that as Intel and Microsoft works very closely together and anyway the inner ring testers should have come across this by now (I would have thought!).

If things do not work out you can always roll back the update as the old windows installation will be in a folder called windows.old.

Once again good luck.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

There's a 10 day limit on roll back. You can extend that using some code easily
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Alex, the Lenovo uses a hybrid drive which uses Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (RST) whereby the SSD (of only 8gb) is used effectively as a cache and the 1tb drive for installation of the operating system, programs and data. Install the latest RST drivers/software from Intel -hopefully that cures the problem. It may be that Intel have not yet released an updated RST driver for the latest Windows update - but I doubt that as Intel and Microsoft works very closely together and anyway the inner ring testers should have come across this by now (I would have thought!).

If things do not work out you can always roll back the update as the old windows installation will be in a folder called windows.old.

Once again good luck.

Thanks, that is most useful.

The desktop that I'm using I put a hybrid drive in, Grant has at least one or more SSHD's! I got the impression (wrongly) that the Lenovo was two separate drives.

Just looked on the cardboard box that the Lenovo came in, you are correct, it's a SSHD.
    Last edited by spendorman; 27-05-2018 at 18:17.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Bit of an update

The bootable W10 USB stick booted OK, but none of the tools worked.

The laptop owner's son came here today, (he's a BBC Electronic Engineer) he did not want any other operating system, other than W10 on the machine. I'm sure his Dad would have been fine with W7 or Linux Mint.

While the son was here he tried various things to get W10 working, but no success. He said that he would have another go at his home.

Many thanks to Edward, Grant and everyone else for your input.

Just in case anyone is interested, the machine, Lenovo Z-5170 ran fine on a USB stick loaded with Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - MATE (64-bit)
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Might be the fancy boot system in it. My win 8 one had that and it caused a lot of trouble at one time. Thi loading and bios were causing havoc lol

You did ur best
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Incidentally, about 12 years ago this guy joined the BBC, he had not heard of LS3/5a etc. He said that they mainly used Genelec monitors. He had a good listen to some of my speakers and bought himself Rogers LS3/5a. He then bought some JR149's, and about two years ago he rescued a pair of very tatty LS3/5a's from a skip!
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    computer kept switching the shares back off.. crazy, just crazy
    Grant, did you sort out your network shares being seen but not accessible?

I saw this issue on one of my machines and, yes, it was a nuisance. Turned out that the problem was that I had, within my router, identified the name of the machine with a friendly name which did not correspond to the actual name of the machine. Thus there was a conflict when the router was translating to the internal IP address resulting in 'network path not found'. I made the names correspond and all is well. Your issue may be different but have a look anyway.

Speaking of computer disasters (name of this thread) do you know what happened to AoS when it went offline for about 15 hours the other day?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Grant, did you sort out your network shares being seen but not accessible?

I saw this issue on one of my machines and, yes, it was a nuisance. Turned out that the problem was that I had, within my router, identified the name of the machine with a friendly name which did not correspond to the actual name of the machine. Thus there was a conflict when the router was translating to the internal IP address resulting in 'network path not found'. I made the names correspond and all is well. Your issue may be different but have a look anyway.

Speaking of computer disasters (name of this thread) do you know what happened to AoS when it went offline for about 15 hours the other day?
    yes and no.. it works on some. i have one where it kept wanting to cancel my changes. not got back to it as ive not been well... the outage was at the server.. was a number of sites went down. was down to a farmer digging a trench i think.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Farmers huh!

Sorry about being ill.

Hope you now feeling better.

+ Reply to Thread