+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Geoff.

Tool Wiz 'timefreeze' is available on its own without the whole maintenance package. Details and free download here: http://www.toolwiz.com/lead/toolwiz_time_freeze/
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Ive got the plus version. Dunno if thats the one youve got... mine flags lots of things. Everytime a program tries to change anything it asks me first. If i say no, it doesnt happen.

The new full malwarebytes is on the ball with most ransomware now too. In fact i got an email today saying the latest global ransomware is covered by the premium version.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I'm happier using 'timefreeze' I think. It makes the computer run from a virtual copy of the existing O/S and everything done via the vitual copy is sandboxed and restarting the computer deletes everything that was done with 'timefreeze' in operation. Needless to say, you do have to turn it off if you work on anything you want to save, but that's just a button click.

In theory, your computer is safe forever if 'timefreeze' is used, regardless of how old or outdated the O/S and any third party security software is.

Much the same applies to the behaviour based ThreatFire anti-virus software, which I have also used. Downloads are hard to find though as it was discontinued, but Softonic still list it: https://threatfire.en.softonic.com/ it can run alongside normal A/V software, as it is not definition file dependant and it never needs updates.

I believe there's 'whitelisting' protection available too, but the last time I tried any, it slowed the PC quite a bit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Default Do not become a victim of this !

The 9AM news here this morning was carrying a story about ransom ware
    Here it is on the ABC Australian news
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-1...tbreak/8523758

I would recommend using a Linux based distribution http://distrowatch.com
    as the climate and frequency of ransom ware is only going to get worse.

Linux Mint is arguably the easiest to transition to.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm happier using 'timefreeze' I think. It makes the computer run from a virtual copy of the existing O/S and everything done via the vitual copy is sandboxed and restarting the computer deletes everything that was done with 'timefreeze' in operation. Needless to say, you do have to turn it off if you work on anything you want to save, but that's just a button click.

In theory, your computer is safe forever if 'timefreeze' is used, regardless of how old or outdated the O/S and any third party security software is.

Much the same applies to the behaviour based ThreatFire anti-virus software, which I have also used. Downloads are hard to find though as it was discontinued, but Softonic still list it: https://threatfire.en.softonic.com/ it can run alongside normal A/V software, as it is not definition file dependant and it never needs updates.

I believe there's 'whitelisting' protection available too, but the last time I tried any, it slowed the PC quite a bit.
    Its a sandbox, yes.. i like sandboxes. used to use sandboxie but it became a pain so discontinued it.. Ive downloaded it. seems to work well so far.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive downloaded it. seems to work well so far.
    'timefreeze' seems to have no effect on computer speed. I find it easy to use. Need to remember to select it for web use each time.

I'm Grant.

Ive green lighted a few programs like malware and windows updates etc so they will go though even when on. Will do more as they come up. Handy when doing other things on web.or testing programs etc
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I just tested it by creating a desktop note and a document whilst on. They vanished after restart, so obviously no changes are kept.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive green lighted a few programs like malware and windows updates etc so they will go though even when on. Will do more as they come up. Handy when doing other things on web.or testing programs etc
    I don't have that facility. Mine is in a download of the complete ToolWiz Care 'one click' mantenance package. Presumably the 'timefreeze' included in that is a pared down version.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I just tested it by creating a desktop note and a document whilst on. They vanished after restart, so obviously no changes are kept.
    yup, me too.... your right too, its quick.. sandboxie was slower.. nice find
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread