+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 200 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Alex.

I've thought of water cooling, but not been brave enough! I just use an old but upgraded business machine, they are usually pretty quiet.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

What is it anyway?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

It's like a car cooling circuit.
    The engine is the processor, so you add a pump, reservoir, hoses and a water block.
    It runs about 10 degrees cooler than air cooling the processor, and as I said, it is almost silent.

The downsides - the cost, the fact that you could "spring a leak" and the amount of space it takes up in the computer case.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Got the PC running nicely. Boots much quicker now. I've only installed the minimum of third party software.

Took me a while today. Had to install W7 twice, I.E. wouldn't run properly. Then I couldn't find the version of Maxthon Browser I'd been using previously, so I tried several versions before settling on the latest version of Maxthon Cloud Browser. Very nice to use.

I go for Maxthon 'cos it's the only browser I can find that opens a new tab immediately when I click on an item in the favourites bar. That's feature I like a lot.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

All's well now, excellent.

Since fitting a hybrid drive to replace a conventional one, boot time has not only decreased massively, but is more consistent over time, also PC responds much faster, and again consistently.

I also use Maxthon, but also Chrome, Firefox, Pale Moon and Vivaldi.
    Spendorman

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I've thought of water cooling, but not been brave enough! I just use an old but upgraded business machine, they are usually pretty quiet.
    With current multicore processors (which are now seriously over-specified for most mainstream computing tasks) , half-decent (i.e., non-stock) CPU fan with PWM control and case fans from the likes of Noctua it is not difficult to purchase/build/modify a PC that is essentially 'silent-running'.

Not infrequently problems with noise can be resolved by removing accumulated dust and detritus from inside the case and fans (including those in/on the graphics card and PSU), improving the air-flow in (careful cable managment) and around the case and by not situating the PC close to a source of heat. Water-cooling is only really worth considering once these issues have been attended to and then only if one is contemplating some seriously hard-core over-clocking.

My current PC build (based around an Intel Skylake Core i7 6700 CPU with 16 GB RAM, M2 PCIe Gen. 3x4 NVMe SSD, SATA-III SSD, SATA-III HDD and AMD Radeon Firepro W5000 graphics card; which, I confess, is massively over-powered for my needs) resides in the same room as my audio kit and is essentially inaudible in use, even when listening to music with quiet passages at modest listening levels.

I'm Geoff.

I keep I.E. on the PC, but Maxthon is the default. I also keep SRWare Iron Portable browser on a memory stick just in case. It comes in handy if I want to give XP a spin, as the packaged version of I.E. in XP is non-functional, so another means of accessing the net is required.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by prsjnb View Post
    Water-cooling is only really worth considering once these issues have been attended to and then only if one is contemplating some seriously hard-core over-clocking.

My current PC build (based around an Intel Skylake Core i7 6700 CPU with 16 GB RAM, M2 PCIe Gen. 3x4 NVMe SSD, SATA-III SSD, SATA-III HDD and AMD Radeon Firepro W5000 graphics card; which, I confess, is massively over-powered for my needs) resides in the same room as my audio kit and is essentially inaudible in use, even when listening to music with quiet passages at modest listening levels.
    I forgot to mention that my i7-6700k is seriously overclocked, as is my graphics card.
    It is overkill for 90% of what I use my PC for but the 10% where I need the power it works quite well.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alex.

I've been using Outlook 2007 since about 2009, no real problems, yesterday, I sent emails to a couple of friends without attachments. They asked my what the attachment was. I had not intentionally attached anything, but they got winmail.dat attachments. They are not using Outlook, when they returned the email I see no attachment.

Looking this up the winmail.dat attachment contains formatting info specifically for Outlook, so it is redundant if the recipient is using another client or webmail.

I've tried some of the fixes that are posted, nothing working. There is a fix that involves altering the registry, but I don't fancy that.

Any ideas?

Later tonight I might try a backup of the whole system done a few days ago.
    Last edited by spendorman; 18-10-2017 at 15:24.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Not heard of that issue.

+ Reply to Thread