+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Selling Vinyl...

I'm bob.

Default Advice on Selling Vinyl...

Hi there,

I seem to have come into possession of a number of very decent condition vintage LPs, some of which seem to be quite valuable and many of which I think I should probably sell on.

I was wondering whether anyone on here had any experience or advice they would be willing to share.

Where is the best place to sell records? eBay? Discogs? on here?

If eBay, is BUY IT NOW better than plain auction?

I have a couple of classical DECCA "Factory Sample" records. If just normal pressings they appear to be fairly valuable (£30 or so on Popsike etc). Does the fact that they are test pressings increase the value?

I have a 6 LP set that is Near Mint, apart from a small scratch on the first 1m 20s of side 1. I believe value to be around £80 if MINT. Does the scratch render it valueless? (this particular example DECCA: WAGNER/TRISTAN/SOLTI)

What is best to do with LPs of small value? Job lot, car boot or 0.99p eBay auction?

The LPs I have are predominantly classical, with a couple of valuable looking DECCA ones. There are also some valuable looking rock (EG. Physical Graffiti/Exile on Main Street) that look like they have just come from the shop, and a fair few 70s ATLANTICs and other Jazz titles.

Any advice or experience would b e greatly appreciated.

Robert

I'm Martin.

I'd sell them here first. No fees and much less likely to be mucked around by a buyer. Check eBay completed listings for an idea of value - rare vinyl in good condition tends to sell quite fast here.

A scratch will reduce value but depends how bad it is. A soft click or two is not generally a deal-breaker, but something that sounds like a pistol shot might well be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Book prices are just that. A guide to what has been paid, not what will be. A scratch that takes ouf a track will reduce the value. How much? Depends on the rarity and elstwhere condition of the whole package. Ie someone may have a tatty set but a decent 1st record. For classical stuff just sjop around and see who has the biggest sales.. Discogs get good sales if your competitive ... Here you can sell a lot cheaper as you have no costs and little risk. Ebay is potentially a huge audience but the costs are high and conmen everywhere.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Book prices are just that. A guide to what has been paid, not what will be. A scratch that takes ouf a track will reduce the value. How much? Depends on the rarity and elstwhere condition of the whole package. Ie someone may have a tatty set but a decent 1st record. For classical stuff just sjop around and see who has the biggest sales.. Discogs get good sales if your competitive ... Here you can sell a lot cheaper as you have no costs and little risk. Ebay is potentially a huge audience but the costs are high and conmen everywhere.
    Good point about eBay being a hassle. I sold an Ortofon Concorde a couple of months back, and while it all went through with no problems, the buyer took about two weeks to pay me and ignored all communications...

I'll do a bit of research into prices etc and maybe list a couple on here to see what people think. I don't want to be seen as profiteering from the members - though I suppose I will soon find out if anyone thinks I am asking too much. The Exile on Main Street copy I have is 1st press and seems to be effectively brand new, and seems to sell for anything from about £40 up to £100. I'll have a closer look at prices/condition.

R

I'm Tony.

I sell on Discogs but the fees are high along with the Paypal fees, much better off selling on the forums but make sure you grade properly, record collectors are a funny bunch and very very sensitive too

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post

I seem to have come into possession of a number of very decent condition vintage LPs, some of which seem to be quite valuable .

The LPs I have are predominantly classical, with a couple of valuable looking DECCA ones.
    The world of valuable classical is very complicated. in general first pressings are the valuable ones.
    So a first pressing could be worth £1000, with a 3rd pressing worth £10.

For example, you mention that you have some Decca. Not all Decca are valuable.

What you are looking for is the SXL versions. within that, you want the first pressing. usually called ED1
    this will have what is called a wide band. there will be a groove. it will say "Original recording by " at about 10 o clock on the label. ED2 will say "made in england"
    It is obviously in your interest to know tjis stuff and to find out exactly what you have.

Google DECCA SXL WIDE BAND ED1, or some variation.

good luck.

Send us a post card from whichever exotic country you retire to after you find all the valuable decca stuff

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    The world of valuable classical is very complicated.
    I know!!

I have a few SXLs - I think the ones I have are in the £20-50 zone though, no huge rarities.

A couple of them are factory samples though, and I was wondering if that would make them more valuable?

[e.g. SXL 6444 - Zubin Mehta/LA Phil/Stravinsky Sacre du Printemps - sold for between £16-£30 as normal label]

R

I'm Andrew.

I own a Tom Jones factory sample on DECCA, it cost 50p!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gone.

Hi Robert,

Classical stuff I don't have a list of, bu ifyou PM me the rock stuff with the catalogue numbers I'll check the in the Rare Record Collectors book for you. That will give you a starting point

Cheers

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Hi Robert,

Classical stuff I don't have a list of, bu ifyou PM me the rock stuff with the catalogue numbers I'll check the in the Rare Record Collectors book for you. That will give you a starting point

Cheers
    Thanks Paul. I'll drop you a line in next day or so. R

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast