Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re Capping the Studer A810

I'm Jez.

Watch out for shorted tants on older ReVox/Studer gear

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Watch out for shorted tants on older ReVox/Studer gear
    HI JEZ,
    I agree with you on the tants and have changed nearly all out on my Revox A77 and will do the same on my PR99s
    However I have it on good authority from a Tech on tapheads.net that the tants on the A810 are very good and dont need changing?, I guess in reality you cant say that about any cap after 30 years.
    I will put together a list of Tants and see if I can get some relabel replacements
    I note that Nagravox on the internet recommend changing them all with electrolytics ?, what do you think

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    HI JEZ,
    I agree with you on the tants and have changed nearly all out on my Revox A77 and will do the same on my PR99s
    However I have it on good authority from a Tech on tapheads.net that the tants on the A810 are very good and dont need changing?, I guess in reality you cant say that about any cap after 30 years.
    I will put together a list of Tants and see if I can get some relabel replacements
    I note that Nagravox on the internet recommend changing them all with electrolytics ?, what do you think

Alan
    Hi Alan. Those caps on the A810 boards look like they could be solid aluminium type electrolytics... Philips at a glance. Not a problem.
    Shorted tants is one of the most common faults on older ReVox stuff in general though.
    I often replace tants with top quality electrolytics with good results myself so agree with Nagravox on that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12