+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a decent arm with detachable headshell

I'm Lee.

Default Recommend me a decent arm with detachable headshell

I'm looking at arms with detachable head shells so that I can get me a mono cart such as the Ortofon SPU, budget would be up to £1000, my deck is a Notts Analogue space deck

Many thanks

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Darren.

jelco sa-750d is a good start, or perhaps a Isokinetik Silver Melody SM750 Tonearm, though i haven't used one.

the ortofons are a step up, but go over your budget unless you can find one 2nd hand. also the acoustic solid wtb211, again it would be 2nd hand but great arm.

a slight tangent is a transfi terminator. not the conventional removable headshell type, so the spu wouldn't work, but you can get multiiple 'wands' that are simple to change, and they work very, very well on a space deck (soulman of this parish has the very same)

I'm Hugo.

You can fit a longer arm than 9" on a Spacedeck, so the 10" Jelco SA-750E would be my choice, and hard to better at the price. It would work nicely with your existing cartridge too.

I'm brian.

Lee, I have a Fidelity Research 64fx that I may sell.

Immaculate condition and works perfectly. I have the 'normal" counterweight, as well as the "heavy" one. So you can change cartridges to your hearts content .

Well below your budget, allowing you to source an armboard for your T/T

I used this at Scalford in 2014 on my Oracle, with the Snells. You may well have heard it.

Get in touch if its of interest.

I'm Steve.

Lee,
    A Jelco SA-750 is a very good start, a Isokinetik Silver Melody SM750 Tonearm is one very big jump up the ladder fot not a lot more money, and boy do they sound good
    Garrard 401, Isokinetik Silver Meledy 750L, Denon DL103r Hana SL , Russ Collinson Plinth , Deco Audio Silvercore SUT, Croft RIAA R Phono Stage, Arcam FMJ CD37, Musical Fidelity M6 Dac, Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3, Harbeth 30.1, Something Solid Stands, Atlas Cables, Power Inspired Regenerator , Okki Nokki RCM. Hi Fi Rack

I'm Justin.

Morch DP6. Detachable arm wands... rather than headshells. Very easy to change and very cartridge versatile.

Been happy with mine for years with absolutely no desire to replace it with anything. Bloody good sign it is very good IMHO.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Can a Morch be used with an SPU though? No doubts at all on the quality available from it though

To go with a retro cartridge, you could consider a vintage SME and have Audio Origami fettle it. Notts Analogue should be able to supply an SME compatible pod I think if that was of interest.

If you go with a Jelco, you may not need the base at all, as NAS supply collets that the pillar will snugly slide into.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Since the Ortofon is integrated into its own headshell, there is no provision for overhang adjustment, unless either an Ortofon arm is used or an SME arm. An Ortofon, presumabley because it will be designed to be used with the Ortofon cartridge, or an SME because the overhang can be adjusted with the sliding bedplate.
    Barry

I'm Tim.

How about a Helius Designs Aurora - available in 9" and 10" with or without a detachable headshell. The finish is a lot better than the 80s arms if my Scorpio 4 is anything to go by.

-- Tim

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Lee,

For an Ortofon SPU, don't rule out vintage arms, as long as they're in good condition. In that respect, consider something such as a Denon DA-307: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DENON-DA-307-...item43e0521b98

Those Denon arms (and others like them) were very well-engineered, intended for DL-103s, and so would work a treat with an SPU

I've bought before from the Japanese seller in question and can vouch for his excellent products and professionalism.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast