+ Reply to Thread

Thread: House of Lords catering bill of £1.3M - Change.org

I'm Josie.

Default House of Lords catering bill of £1.3M - Change.org

Hi all.

I hope some of you can sign this petition.

It's diabolical to hear that each peer has an allowance of £300 per day for their lunches etc.

http://email.change.org/mpss/c/zgA/3...GtMg-2Bw-3D-3D

Quote: "We are all living in David Cameron’s ‘one nation’, a time of community and eqAuality. But, if we are in such a time of fraternity, why does the taxpayer have to fork out to subsidise the catering services in the House of Lords for some of the richest in the nation?
    A recent Trussell’s report found that 1.1 million people relied on food banks last year, a number which is set to rise in light of a budget that will cut public services by just under £18 billion. Yet, whilst some remain reliant on charity food, the Peers in The House of Lords enjoy decadent three course meals and fine wines, leaving the tax payer to pick up the bill. Peers receive a £300-a-day allowance for attending the House, and whilst, to put that into perspective, job seekers allowance only pays £73.10 a week, they still have their catering subsidised at a cost of £1.3 million. Within an era of deepening poverty, the extravagance of these unelected representatives, many of whom voted for austerity that has cut living standards and services, can be described as nothing less than immoral.

There is a relentless stress on economic motives for many actions within society. What is neglected however, is the significance of morality and ethics in these. This petition seeks to address that. It is a vehicle for a change that can only come from a unity of those who are actually affected by austerity. The privilege and indulgence that runs rife within the House of Lords cannot be tolerated anymore. This petition is a strike at the symbol of inequality and oppression and aims to bring greater compassion and fairness to a vastly unequal subject.
    The House rejected a proposal to cut their budget last year as it was reported they were worried about the quality of the champagne. But in such austere times the importance of equality is needed now more than ever. This basic issue of food and parity is vital. The Peers have rejected fairness in favour of ceremony and prestige so it must be the people who bring an end to this injustice. Something must be done, and the first step should be an imposed austerity on the Houses 1.3 million annual catering budget."
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Martin.

I suppose £1.3 million here and £1.3 million there and pretty soon you're talking serious money.

Seems an odd target to pick on, though, I mean if you want to highlight government waste it is a target-rich environment. (see Taxpayer's Alliance or indeed Private Eye). I wonder how many who have signed this understand that the House of Lords no longer contains hereditary peers? All the Lords are political appointees, from all sorts of social and ethnic backgrounds. Smacks of ill-informed class-warfare to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

That may be so, but they still all luncheon and they all still accept their daily budget. I'd beg to differ on claiming it as class warfare, it's about being fair and accepting that their allowance is controversial and should be self absorbent in their already standing privileges.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Martin.

If you are a peer wanting to attend the House, and you live outside London then you will burn a fair chunk of that £300 just getting there.

Don't get me wrong £1.3 million a year for catering is way over the top. Although I suppose they have to entertain foreign dignataries and such like, that won't just be purely for the peer's food and drink. All I'm saying is that it is a drop in the ocean in terms of avoidable government expenditure.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

I want to be a pee'r.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm mick.

An excuse for reducing the size of the House of Commons was that it will reduce the size of the bill for its running.Nothing to do with the fact that it will hit Labour the most.What is the yearly cost of 50 m.p's against the cost of the 50 or so well off people who have just been made peers by this government (mainly tory party hanger's on- one was some woman who was press agent or worked in tory h.q)They must think they are people of real worth.One big trough for pigs with big snouts who have nothing but contempt for those who they see as beneath them and accordingly rate them as such
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Don't get me going

The UK also put in about £12.5 billion to support the EU in 2013, and only got about £4 billion back from the EU, so a deficit of about £8.5 billion

I wouldn't mind but we are now saying the NHS can't afford certain cancer drugs so the 'Cancer Drugs Fund' is cutting out 23 treatments. If we kept ALL the current cancer treatments the spend would be a mere £410m in 2015, a drop in the ocean ! These cuts will affect 5,533 patients who will now probably face an early death as they won't be offered the best treatment.... a really sorry state...

If we keep cutting the Cancer Drugs Fund we will be going backwards and will end up back in the 'Dark Ages' cancer treatment wise

Makes me mad....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

And also while we might think the UK is very good on cancer treatment we only spend about £76 per head each year on cancer treatment while France and Germany spend over £120 per head on cancer care

Like I said don't get me going...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread