+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4K TV

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm still using a Mitsubishi CRT telly. It's so old, it doesn't even have a SCART socket. But the picture and the colour fidelity in particular, put most modern flat screen tellys to shame. The only thing they have going for them is resolution and detail.
    Barry

I'm Julian.

I watched 'The Life of Pi' on a friend's Ultra HD curved Samsung last week and the problem is that at the moment it that the screen is just too good. Like any good hi-fi source, it ruthlessly shows up deficiency in what you feed it. The film was 1080p but it made the HD that the film was shot on look very amateur indeed and showed up all its shortcomings. HD is still nowhere near competing with well-shot 35mm but it's here to stay due to economics. At times it felt a bit like watching a documentary, such was the 'video' feel of it all. The dynamic range of HD still leaves a lot to be desired and the motion blur in some fast moving shots nearly made me feel sick at times. Worst of all, it destroyed what is obviously a seriously effects heavy film - I could just about see every layer in all the composite FX shots, all the edges were obvious. It would have looked much better on my old 1080p screen - the UHD screen was resolving so much detail, none of the FX bedded in properly. I've spent thousands of hours in edit suites so I may be more attuned to it than a lot of people but my friend spotted the same issues as well. HD quality still needs to up its game. I would have loved to have seen a 4K blu-ray of Lawrence of Arabia (shot 70mm) and then we might see some something wondrous.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Josie.

I actually prefer a good CRT picture. So long as it's 100hz. IMO LCD screens are worse for your eyes.

One day... Maybe one day CRT screens will make a comeback but in a more updated guise.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Gary.

Something overlooked by a lot of people is the importance of getting your TV properly calibrated.
    That and proper bias lighting can make a huge improvement.
    If you've spend £££ on a large screen your not seeing what its capable of IMO until you do.

Agree on the more open window showing up deficiencies in source video.
    A good upscaler and video processing can help though.

Happily still on 1080P here and will be until large 4K screens are more affordable.
    65"+ OLED 4K's the magic number for me.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Julian.

Absolutely, I suspect that the vast majority of TV's aren't set up properly whether 4k or not ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Mike.

Just seen the new Professional range of Monitors from NEC, how's about a 98" LED 4K display for watching your latest movies on, only 2 problems, 1st it has to be mounted on a load bearing wall (it's weight will pull over a stud partition) and secondly it costs £29k, but if that doesn't phase you it's stunning.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Gary.

Wonder how much I could flog a kidney for....

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Wonder how much I could flog a kidney for....
    I thought about prostituting myself, but then i looked in the mirror and thought better of it

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not much after NEBO.. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    how's about a 98" LED 4K display for watching your latest movies on
    Nah! Wouldn't want a screen that big. You'd break your neck watching tennis.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast