+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4K TV

I'm tony.

Bought a new telly last week. Spoke to the guy in Richer sounds, he said the 4k tellies in my budget had a poor refresh rate and would be OK but not great. Stood staring at all the pictures trying to decide what looked best to my eyes. Plumped for an LG. I ran a 42 inch LG for maybe six years now and couldnt fault it with blu ray. The Led that has replaced it is night and day better picture wise-all the smart features are bamboozling me but its a pleasure watching a film on disk.
    Mother in law gladly accepted the old telly.

I'm martin.

Heard on the radio today that 8k tellys are to be available this year, unfortunately can't remember which manufacturer, a budget brand seems to ring a bell though.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

But apart from watching BluRay discs, is anyone broadcasting TV to this quality?
    Barry

I'm martin.

I rather think I need an eye upgrade to appreciate these pictures, after all I thought HD was great.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Julian.

Ultra HD 4k blu-ray players supposedly in shops for Xmas...

Amazon and Netflix have launched 4k streaming. Not much point in buying a 4k TV until more content available and also the TV's will change specs in the meantime...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    But apart from watching BluRay discs, is anyone broadcasting TV to this quality?
    There is just one 4K broadcast at the moment and that's an Astra test channel broadcasting from the Astra 28.2 (i.e. the one you get Freesat and Sky from) satellite. It is absolutely stunning on a good 4K TV and puts Netflix 4K to shame. Have to say I've been singularly unimpressed with the Netflix 4K quality so far, it's barely discernable from decent 1080, but then if you look at the data-rates they are way lower than the average BluRay disc anyway. 4K BluRay should be pretty interesting when it arrives. The increase in resolution is the least interesting thing about the 4K format though, it's the increased colour gamut, HDR and boosts to brightness levels that make it really interesting, and a £300 4K TV isn't going to give you any of that.
    Rich

I'm Mike.

I've said it before, but here we go again it's UHD not 4k. Anyway mini rant over, the thing is the technology is advancing so fast it's difficult to know what to do, only a short time ago 3D was going to be the 'next big thing' and look where that is now. All i'll say is if the tv you have is on it's way out, then get the latest / best you can afford.

Some of the new stuff coming out soon will be the game changer, LG have showcased their latest 1mm thick "wallpaper" screen, it may not be quite the finished article just yet but it's definitely the future

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

2 things

1st 4K bluray will be called redray
    2nd as i've said in another post, to enable them to broadcast in 4k the the colour palette is reduced otherwise the bandwidth needed is immense

Like with other things, technology doesn't all advance at the same speed
    Last edited by Jac Hawk; 12-11-2015 at 19:23. Reason: autocorrect worked overtime

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I've said it before, but here we go again it's UHD not 4k.
    The term "UHD" covers both 4K and 8K, therefore in the context of the thread, 4K is correct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_...ion_Television
    Barry

I'm Alan.

UHD, VHD, ULTRA 8 K UHD . who gives a toss, I had a perfectly good CRT telly, the box in the corner that gave me pictures, I spent £700 1 year ago and since then I have not seen ANYTHING in any kind of HD, I feel totally ripped off, and I guess when they decide to broadcast anything better, my super slimline modern display unit will be obselete.

PISSED OFF!!! YOU BET I AM.

cheers Al
    Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2015 at 02:03. Reason: There is no edit. Sorry - hit the edit button by mistake!
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast