+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ortofon 2M Blue

I'm John.

Default Ortofon 2M Blue

Going to buy a Ortofon 2M red to put on my Music Hall MMF-5 (not the newer model MMF-5.1) all tube set up with Bozak B-4000 thinking is start there and hear how it sounds.

I'm Liam.

I've got a 2m Blue recently on my 1210 and have to say, for the cash, I'm liking it a lot.

I'm Lars.

I've bought a 2 M Black a few weeks ago replacing my worn out Dynavector 10x5. 10x5 was a damn fine performer (before it worn out of course) but the 2M Black is so much better in every way and a good match for my Pro-Ject Xperience Classic. So I would image that a 2 M Red would be quite good on your Music Hall MMF-5, since Pro-Ject and Music Hall share a lot in the general designs. The first 10 hours or so the 2 M Black was quite harsh in the treble, little bass and "closed in", in the sound. Then it started to open up and got more musical. Here about 30 hours later, it just sound wonderful: Dynamic, open, firm deep bass and don't over exaggerate any instruments or voices in the mix. Everything is delivered neat and in perfect order. But right from the start, I got it set up to play without distortion and to track perfectly. I know the Red and Black are in opposite end of the 2 M range, but I would image that they both behave the same way in the "break in period" So be patient with the sound. If you set it up to sound clean and track well and don't have sizzling treble (distorted "S" Sound) You should leave it alone for awhile until it starts to "break in" Then you can fiddle with tracking force etc. to optimise for best sound. I started at 1,5 grams and found it now sound best on my table at 1,7 grams.

I'm John.

Thanks for the info much appreciated, it was suggested that I come here because I have some decent vintage audio but knowledge wise you guys are light years ahead of me. Just trying to lead. Firgure state out low price and work from there really have no choice. But that is fine. Anybody know where I would look to a fix on a perfectly clean Lp NM but the spinle hole is so tight I cant even get it on my table dont know if I could use a tool to widen it or if its a loss?

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by 57blues View Post
    Anybody know where I would look to a fix on a perfectly clean Lp NM but the spinle hole is so tight I cant even get it on my table dont know if I could use a tool to widen it or if its a loss?
    Easy fix - get a pencil or pen, stick it into the spindle hole (like you used to when tightening a cassette tape spool) as far as it'll go and twist it a few times. Pay no heed to the squeaking noise - it won't harm the record.

The tightness occurs when there's a residue of vinyl left in at the pressing plant...all you need to do is flatten it. The vinyl isn't a write-off by any means.

Make sure you brush carefully afterwards, in case any small fragments you might have loosened have been drawn to the surface of the record by any static charge in the vinyl.

I'm Grant.

Thats a good idea Phil. Not tried that i use a paring knife very carefully....not for feint hearted though
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Thanks for the help with the lp and the cart much appreciated.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Thats a good idea Phil. Not tried that i use a paring knife very carefully....not for feint hearted though
    You're a braver man than I, Grant...try the pen method. Works every time, requires nought but brute force and ignorance and takes about ten seconds.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I use the pointed end of a potato peeler - the part used for removing the 'eyes'. Never had any problems.
    Barry

I'm scott.

Ortofon 2M silver is a better choice used by project who make some of the Music Halls TTs
    2M Red body with silver coils , Red has copper & in future replace the stylus with 2M Blue

Undersize centre Holes 7.3mm approx Dremmel type will enlarge the hole for peanuts
    or as usual with typical german flair clearaudio will rip you off for 35Euros for one
    only stupid audiofools need apply

An easy to use tool that quickly corrects undersized spindle holes – fitted with an ergonomic aluminum handle.

http://www.amazon.com/Clearaudio-Rec.../dp/B00NY869I2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast