+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Serious horns

I'm Adam.

hi all,

waaaay over the top - such a contrast with
    the low key system owners - half surprised
    the tt plinths aren't 1 ton tree stumps...

surprised jean hiraga still in action,

cheers,

a

I'm Mark.

What strikes me looking through that again, is that the Japanese are obsessed about wood ( and the sound of the various types ) but put very little ( or no ) effort into time-alignment . Most of those horn/cone combos are nowhere near aligned physically. Most odd. I've seen it before on other shots of some mad Goto-based horn systems in Japan .
    Nice to see a Nottingham Hyperspace in there ( or did I see it in the full thread elsewhere ? ) - but unfortunately only the normal motor. If only they new that a rim-drive motor turns the Hyperspace into a Garrard-beater....

I'm Chris.

About Hiraga, he's still writing for a brand new french zine called VU Meter
    http://vumetre.com/

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPink View Post
    What strikes me looking through that again, is that the Japanese are obsessed about wood ( and the sound of the various types ) but put very little ( or no ) effort into time-alignment . Most of those horn/cone combos are nowhere near aligned physically. Most odd. I've seen it before on other shots of some mad Goto-based horn systems in Japan .
    Nice to see a Nottingham Hyperspace in there ( or did I see it in the full thread elsewhere ? ) - but unfortunately only the normal motor. If only they new that a rim-drive motor turns the Hyperspace into a Garrard-beater....
    With so many amps everywhere on that thing, I assume they're using some sort of active crossover to handle time alignment.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I'm Justin.

4212A is pretty rare and that guy seems to have quite a few.

Having heard WE 16A I have an idea what one of those systems may sound like. Outside the bounds of normality, in other words almost off the scale good with the right material.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPink View Post
    Japanese music culture is very much different to ours and timing is different. Same with natural products like wood they believe in natures music and substance s
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

Yes but they're still trying to reproduce the whole experience of the music , disjointed timing/tone is not going to help. I agree the Japanese audio enthusaists are a law unto themselves though.
    They may be using DSP , but I suspect with all the other top-notch stuff in the (analogue) chain I'd vote for 'not' in this case. It will sort the problem out on-axis, but not completely.

16A's I would love to hear. I know a guy in Luton who is just about to take delivery of a replica pair . Very keen to hear how that goes.
    4212's , I have had the privelige of hearing three different pairs one afternoon at a friend's house in Scarborough about 10 years ago, in a very good system . They are truly superb, somewhere between a good 2A3 and a copper GM70 in style. Seeing that boxful in the link made me smile. The STC ones were the best - anyone who owns those and knows what to do with them is very lucky.

I'm Justin.

If Pete can get it sounding like the Silbatone/GIP fettled original... be well worth a trip to Scalford for anyone interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123