+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ADC Cartridge Info

I'm Geoff.

Default ADC Cartridge Info

Evening,

I've recently acquired a couple of ADC cartridges. I don't know anything about them, so can anyone enlighten me if either of the below are worth setting up for a listen.

The first one came to me with an aftermarket stylus with 'K8' on it. The pictured one is a Pfanstiel I think, bought cheaply from the states to see if the cart works (it does).

The second I haven't tried yet. Has a rather well used looking original stylus. Mounted on a matching ADC headshell.

If either are worth it, anyone know a source of a decent stylus?

Thanks

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Barry

I'm Geoff.

Found a proper RS IV stylus from LP Gear in the states. Be interesting to see what it sounds like.

I'm Jez.

I never liked them myself but vaguely remember the K8 being a cheapy OEM number a NAD link may be present (or not!)

I'm Geoff.

I have no experience of the ADCs you have, but I do have a small collection of classic vintage ADC carts.

In my system, they sound lovely. I tried the ADC 26 again recently and was blown away with how good it sounded. Different, but not noticeably inferior to my rather pricey ZYX MC. I have the 10E Mk.II and 10E Mk.IV models as well. Two of each. They sound great too. A low mass arm is better with these and critically necessary with the 26. In my experience, they are best non MC carts this side of a Decca. Yes. I've tried ATs, Nagaokas, Goldrings, Stantons, Shures and so many more. Do have a fondness for Grados though. But there's something special about good ADCs. The XLM III is worth tracking down too. Rare with an original stylus though.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 17-09-2015 at 18:28.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

After sifting the little grey cells I think the K8 was a cheap but very old model and the NAD connection ones had "NAD" where it normally says ADC.... I think I've got an unused K8 somewhere....

I'm Geoff.

Thanks. Yes, read somewhere else that the K8 was the cheapy conical stylus.
    I'll try the Series IV on my SME III when it arrives which should hopefully suit.

I'm Geoff.

The Phase Series IV stylus arrived from LP Gear today.

Fitted and setup and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Easily a match for my V15 II (which is fitted with a cheap EVG stylus). Probably a good bit nicer in fact. A bit of running in to do now.

+ Reply to Thread