+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from Gloucester

I'm Thommy.

Default Hi from Gloucester

Hello,

I am Thommy and I am well into DIY hifi!

I have just built a single ended triode tube amp with ECC83s & EL34s.

It is fed by a DDDAC1794 (DIY), and runs a pair of Wilmslow Audio Prestige speakers (also DIY).

I play piano and love classical music, but also electronic music too.

I'm Josie.

Hi Thommy.

Welcome to AOS... Very nice. You like your DIY stuff. Is it on the same lines as a Leak Stereo 20 or is it something something?

Be great to see some pics posted soon.

Enjoy!
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Hello Thommy. Welcome to AOS.

DIY projects are very popular here. Why not post some photos in the Gallery section. They'd be appreciated.

Tell us about the rest of your system and what plans if any you have for it.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Thommy.

Thankyou!

Have just updated my signature with some of the other gear I have here.

Yes the amp is a bit like a Leak stereo 20, although in triode mode it's probably putting out about 7w per side.
    Speakers: Wilmslow Audio Prestige, ATC SCM11, B&W 602S02
    Cables: Missing Link Cryo Ref, handmade pure silver Litz braid, Van Damme Blue
    Amps: Hypex nCore400, DIY SET EL34/ECC83, DIY PP KT88 Monoblocks, Hypex UcD400 HG
    DACs: Quad Deck DDDAC, Single Deck DDDAC, Modified Chinese 9018, DIY Russian TDA1543 DAC
    Turntable: Technics SL1200 Modified, linear PSU, Paradise Phono Preamp
    Interconnects: Handmade silver Litz, Missing Link Alaqeia
    Preamps: DIY - buffers, LDR attenuators, stepped pots
    Mains: Balancing transformers, RF filters, handmade cables

I'm Grant.

Welcome to the forum Thommy.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Thommy,

Congratulations on building your SET amp. Was it your own design or another's? There are several keen DIY'ers here, so feel free to join in any discussion in the DIY thread.

Is there any particular period of Classical music you particularly enjoy (and play)? We also have a section where we discuss Classical music , so again please feel free to join in there.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 04-09-2015 at 15:50. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Thommy.

Hey Barry,

I had a few discussions with Phillip up at Bluebell Audio in Scotland, and he then sent me some parts and a circuit, both of which I have since tweaked. I am quite a long way from having enough understanding to draw a circuit from scratch, but it sure is an interesting hobby!

As far as music goes, avant garde, 20th century european composers and modern classical seem to be my particular areas of interest. I very much enjoyed the performance by Nils Frahm during this years Proms season.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Speakers: Wilmslow Audio Prestige, ATC SCM11, B&W 602S02
    Cables: Missing Link Cryo Ref, handmade pure silver Litz braid, Van Damme Blue
    Amps: Hypex nCore400, DIY SET EL34/ECC83, DIY PP KT88 Monoblocks, Hypex UcD400 HG
    DACs: Quad Deck DDDAC, Single Deck DDDAC, Modified Chinese 9018, DIY Russian TDA1543 DAC
    Turntable: Technics SL1200 Modified, linear PSU, Paradise Phono Preamp
    Interconnects: Handmade silver Litz, Missing Link Alaqeia
    Preamps: DIY - buffers, LDR attenuators, stepped pots
    Mains: Balancing transformers, RF filters, handmade cables

I'm Rob.

Hi Thommy, and welcome. I first came across doede douma when I was looking for an NOS Dac. I seem to remember that he had built one using 64 Philips 1543s (these things were normally 8 op-amps) but it was said that the more you stacked the better the sound.

I ended up getting a LiTe Dac aH that was the subject of many mods on Headfi. Not bad for not much money. I also seem to remember that I went for the LiTe as the costs of building one of DDs creations was far greater. I suppose DDs my have sounded better.

Rob.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread