Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
Running 3.5 I now find the volume control does not work when playing DSD files - all default settings as per the original install. Switching the software volume control to zero does switch off the sound but after that it seems like its just (full ?) on with no control

Switching DSD over PCM stopped any DSD file playing

Switching re-sampling on enabled the software volume control with DSD files but playback then became very fragmented (about 2 secs music then cut out with slight pop/click noise and repeated as it plays).

DSD files of 128 or 256 only play in a fragmented (stop/start) fashion but 96 play fine.

I don't recall experiencing these issues with 3.1 but can test it as I have other units still on 2.7 and 3.1

Mel
Hi Mel,

Retested and hopefully the explanation below helps. Personally, I think there is room for improvement in MPD's support for DSD format.

DSD over I2S
#########

VOLUME CONTROL

0db (100%) volume occurs if all of the settings below are true. This is because MPD software volume control has no method for DSD volume yet, only PCM.

- Software volume
- Resampling disabled
- DoP no

The workaround is to either turn on MPD resampling or use an audio device that supports Hardware volume and then set MPD volume control to Hardware.

DSD OVER PCM (DoP)

The audio device must support DoP protocol otherwise output will be noise or no sound if DoP is set to Yes.

DSD SUPPORT IN STANDARD AND ADVANCED KERNELS

Standard kernel suports DSD64
Advanced kernels support DSD64, DSD128

AUDIO GLITCHES WHEN PLAYING DSD128

The following MPD configs will usually cause audio glitches with DSD128

- DoP = no
- Resampling = disabled or resampling at >192k using Very High Quality

CONCLUSION

The most painless configfor audio devices that don't support DoP is an audio device with Hardware volume control and playing DSD64 files. This just works. If using DSD128 files then add "set resampling to 24/352.8, High Quality.

-Tim