+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Moode Player Help

I'm Luke.

Thanks Tim, I had no reason to suspect until I saw that another distro was releasing an update with Allo drivers, but for Pi 2/3 only. I'm hoping this is unrelated to the hardware, but will check with Allo...

I'm Simon.

Quick question: Does Moode play multichannel flac files over hdmi in hi-res? I've got quite a lot of 5.1 discs I'd like to rip and play from a harddrive through the RPi.

I'm Duncan.

I have Moode 3.1 installed on my pi 3 with the Iqaudio Pi-Digi +.
    It plays my collection of 5.1 DTS flac/wav files very nicely.

On another pi 3 I have OSMC kodi installed mainly for film streaming but does play 5.1 DTS audio via the HDMI.

Happy Days

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by tubehunter View Post
    I have Moode 3.1 installed on my pi 3 with the Iqaudio Pi-Digi +.
    It plays my collection of 5.1 DTS flac/wav files very nicely.

On another pi 3 I have OSMC kodi installed mainly for film streaming but does play 5.1 DTS audio via the HDMI.

Happy Days
    If I may ask, how are you transferring 6 channels to 6 speakers? I assume via HDMI?

I'm Duncan.

No optically from the pi-digi+ on one pi.
    On the OSMC Kodi pi, HDMI to my Sony smart TV then optically to the best bargain around.

A Yamaha DSP-E800 hidden gem shhh

Then plenty of power amps

Happy Days

I'm Ken.

Isn't digital such a wonderful medium.

Threads like this just leave me cold, there is so much to take on board, in terms of hardware/application software/operating system and no "right way" of doing anything. Ask 10 peoples opinions and you will get 10 different answers, even on an objective basis. Playing over a network, either hard wired or wifi, using USB,SPDIF,i2s, the permutations are endless.

It just gets further and further from the point, of playing, or rather listening, to music.

Its not that I can't understand it, I just don't want to spend my precious time on it these days.
    I used to take an interest in the latest technologies, I worked on the first Blue tooth Keyboard in the world for Logitech and the first computer I ever used was a unix workstation at £25k a seat hardware plus £25k software. These days I want technology to be sorted, plug and play, if you have to resort to the handbook, its badly designed. A Graphic designer friend of mine once told me, "I don't want to know how a computer or any of the programs work, its a tool I use to perform my work, end of." It's a valid point which has stuck with me.

The vastness of it all, must put so many people off even trying. Sure, you can get a tune out of anything you throw together, but getting a good sound, or the best out of your gear, is another story. Makes the task of setting up a turntable look pretty mundane, all things considered.

Yes it's finally happened, I've turned into a grumpy old man.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by tubehunter View Post
    No optically from the pi-digi+ on one pi.
    On the OSMC Kodi pi, HDMI to my Sony smart TV then optically to the best bargain around.

A Yamaha DSP-E800 hidden gem shhh

Then plenty of power amps

Happy Days
    Thanks. Do you know if moode will also send this over hdmi straight into a processor? I'm finding it hard to find any information online. A lot of reports that multichannel over hdmi is limited to 16/48 due to something in the ALSA downsampling, but no idea if this was ever resolved.

I'm Dave.

Well I've been rather apatheic about all this talk of advaned audio kernels and hugely upsampled data rates etc. Previous experience with my IQ DAC+ was that software volume control sounded poor and it was best use no upsampling or other clever software twiddling. OTOH people were also claiming that the TI's digital filters are rubbish - well as far as I'm concerned if that it the case then they are all equally rubbish, becuase I cannot distuinguish any difference at all in the sound of them.

Anway in a slightly less apathetic moment I decided to upgrade from Moode 2.3 to 3.1.
    After 2+ hours of dicking about with diskpart, windiskimager, zip-7 and similar bits of not-very-user-friendly software, followed by several resets, reboots and expletives it is finallly working.

All I can say is Wow!!!!
    Changing from Moode 2.3 with no upsampling, hardware vol to 3.1 with software vol and updampling to 32/384 has resulted in a huge improvement in sound quality. The sound is so much clearer, but at the same time more laid-back and harmonically richer. It's much easier to hear the ambience of the recording venue etc. Treble is very noticeably clearer and less splashy. This is not one of those changes where you need to swap around to decide which is preferable. There are no downsides and the difference is very significant.

I'm impressed. And happy!

Extra bonus: the handling/UI has improved as well.
    Extra, extra bonus: it's FOC!

I'm Luke.

Hi Starterman,

can you just clarify what you had to do in the UI to implement the upsampling for your pi DAC + please? I'd like to try it but it wasn't obvious to me what settings to tweak!

Also, do you mean that turning software volume on has also improved the sound?! I thought this was a complete no go, though it would be useful to me if there is indeed no degradation to the SQ as my amp is hidden out of sight and so a complete pain to twiddle the knob for every new album with different volume levels...

Cheers,
    Luke

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    Well I've been rather apatheic about all this talk of advaned audio kernels and hugely upsampled data rates etc. Previous experience with my IQ DAC+ was that software volume control sounded poor and it was best use no upsampling or other clever software twiddling. OTOH people were also claiming that the TI's digital filters are rubbish - well as far as I'm concerned if that it the case then they are all equally rubbish, becuase I cannot distuinguish any difference at all in the sound of them.

Anway in a slightly less apathetic moment I decided to upgrade from Moode 2.3 to 3.1.
    After 2+ hours of dicking about with diskpart, windiskimager, zip-7 and similar bits of not-very-user-friendly software, followed by several resets, reboots and expletives it is finallly working.

All I can say is Wow!!!!
    Changing from Moode 2.3 with no upsampling, hardware vol to 3.1 with software vol and updampling to 32/384 has resulted in a huge improvement in sound quality. The sound is so much clearer, but at the same time more laid-back and harmonically richer. It's much easier to hear the ambience of the recording venue etc. Treble is very noticeably clearer and less splashy. This is not one of those changes where you need to swap around to decide which is preferable. There are no downsides and the difference is very significant.

I'm impressed. And happy!

Extra bonus: the handling/UI has improved as well.
    Extra, extra bonus: it's FOC!
    Thats the settings i use. 32/384 moode3. With the updated kernel too. Ive a self powered hdd in the usb with music on it. Works well, adeasy to set up, or was for me.. it updates now without flashing the card again which is a bonus. Settings are there in settings , not hidden.lol. Remember to apply when needed and restart when needed too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast