+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about headphones -Advice welcome

I'm Kevin.

I am surprised at the sound quality of my Sennheiser HD540 reference II.
    If you get the chance, try a pair. They pop up second hand fairly often. I have seen a nice looking pair on eBay.

They seem less coloured than my HD650. Almost to a point where I would say they are tonally more accurate.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Brian.

Has anyone tried the 880 pros?

I'm Gordon.

I've been through many headphones over the years. They're actually my preferred way to listen to music. I've finally settled on the gear in my sig and honestly can't see myself changing anything. Sennheiser's HD 650 sounds good through most equipment but fantastic when well fed. They really do scale as well as everyone says. A decent valve amp allows them to really flourish.

Whereabouts in N.E. Scotland are you? I'm in Dundee and would be more than willing to demo this setup for you.
    Mac mini > Jriver 19 > ODAC > QED Silver Anniversary IC > Project Ember MkII > Linn Black > Marantz PM6004 > Mogami 3103 > Dali Zensor 1

Mac mini > JRiver 19 > QED Silver Anniverary IC > Project Ember MkII > Forza Audio Works Colour cable > Sennheiser HD 650

Sansa Clip+ (r/b) > Sennheiser PX 100-II (w/HD 414 pads)

I'm Brian.

Hi Gordon,
    I'm from Peternapper. Often go through Dundee so my take you up on your offer.
    cheers
    Brian

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgie View Post
    Hi Gordon,
    I'm from Peternapper. Often go through Dundee so my take you up on your offer.
    cheers
    Brian
    The Blue Toon. Any time pal, nae worries. I'm actually just outside Dundee but no-one ever knows where it is so we can easily meet up. Just give me a shout.

Gordon.
    Mac mini > Jriver 19 > ODAC > QED Silver Anniversary IC > Project Ember MkII > Linn Black > Marantz PM6004 > Mogami 3103 > Dali Zensor 1

Mac mini > JRiver 19 > QED Silver Anniverary IC > Project Ember MkII > Forza Audio Works Colour cable > Sennheiser HD 650

Sansa Clip+ (r/b) > Sennheiser PX 100-II (w/HD 414 pads)

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Solrighal View Post
    The Blue Toon. Any time pal, nae worries. I'm actually just outside Dundee but no-one ever knows where it is so we can easily meet up. Just give me a shout.

Gordon.
    Aye cool. Where about's "the Ferry"?

I was going to write 'Furryboots yi fae' bit at wid be ower muckle

I'm John.

I have a pair of Sennheiser momentum over-ear headphones and really like them. Before buying I carried out comparisons with other headphones that were in a similar price range i.e.

Audio technical ath ad500x
    Audio technical ath ad900x (closed back and also open back)
    Sony MRA-1a
    JVC hasz2000
    Beyerdynamic DT250/80
    B&W P5
    Sony MDR-1A
    AKG K612

The momentum were the best for sound quality. The Sony MDR-1A gave them a close run, but bass on the Sony’s wasn’t as tight on some tracks with drums, which was a pity because they were more comfortable and looked better. But sound quality was my priority so I went for the momentum’s. Also, because the momentum's are easy to drive a headphone amp is not needed. I recall they were voted best in class by a number of reviews.

I found many of the also-rans were on the bright-side and became fatiguing, especially the Beyerdynamic’s. The only downside with the momentum, as already mentioned, is that they are not really over-ear and can be uncomfortable when used for extensive listening over an hour.

Ultimately, you’ll need to audition for yourself rather than rely on others’ opinions (including mine). There are some good and accurate reviews on YouTube which should help at least point you in the right direction so you can short-list a few.

I'm Brian.

I've gone ahead and got Momentum 1 over ears for going around (portable). I'm liking them, but now looking for something more (home use). I think I might be lucky in that the Momentum have fitted well and comfy even on a 6 hour flight. Great sound and comfort compared to normal plane supplied headphones. In fact the sound very good as you have said in your post.
    cheers
    B

I'm John.

Now I have another CD, I'm thinking of headphones now.

I'm thinking about getting Momentum 1 over ears, or beyerdynamics DT880 pro 250ohm. I've heard the Momentums and they seem quite good.

Running through my Cyrus 1 and TEAC CD when I get it.

Or is there any other makes I should consider. I was thinking about going to HD650 or something, but would there be a massive difference?
    Glad you're happy with your choice of momentum's.

I also listened to the more expensive sennheiser range 650 and there isn't a massive difference just different,more airy with a better sound stage. They are not the most comfortable headphone either, so if that's important then try others that excel in comfort.

I'm Sergio.

I've gone ahead and got Momentum 1 over ears for going around (portable). I'm liking them, but now looking for something more (home use). I think I might be lucky in that the Momentum have fitted well and comfy even on a 6 hour flight. Great sound and comfort compared to normal plane supplied headphones. In fact the sound very good as you have said in your post.
    cheers
    B
    Brian, my congarts!
    It's good choice for portable.
    Future is bright, great and positive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast