+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about headphones -Advice welcome

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Glad you're happy with your choice of momentum's.

I also listened to the more expensive sennheiser range 650 and there isn't a massive difference just different,more airy with a better sound stage. They are not the most comfortable headphone either, so if that's important then try others that excel in comfort.
    As I can see that most of my home listening will be on headphones, that's why I'm thinking of getting a pair that have a history of being good. Well I think that's what I'm looking for. I would 'push the boat out' and look for real high end ones, but thinking due to job front...those may have to wait.
    Cheers
    Brian

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisener Bart View Post
    Brian, my congarts!
    It's good choice for portable.
    thank you

I'm Gordon.

I'm in a wee village called Lundie.

It seems it has to be said again. While the Momentums are decent sounding headphones they're nowhere near the quality of a well amped pair of HD 650's. There's really very few occasions in hi-fi when anyone can really claim a night & day improvement but this would be one such case.

The question is whether the Cyrus One is that amp. I used to own that same model when it was released and I did use headphones with it but i had no terms of reference back then.

Today I drive my speakers with a Marantz PM6004 and although it's good with my speakers it doesn't hold a candle to the Project Ember driving the 650's.

Another thing that's significant. The HD 650 is generally regarded as having a somewhat dark sound and so you might think that pairing it with a valve amp would only compound the issue. That's what I thought and so I was quite happy with the O2 I had bought for my AKG Q701's.

Being a member of another forum with a fairly close affinity with Garage 1217 products I inevitably ended up with the tour Project Ember in my house for 6 weeks. It blew me away, even with the relatively unremarkable stock valve.

I sold the O2 and bought one of the 4 Ember MkII prototypes.

I'm not trying to sell the Ember btw, or any other G1217 product. I've heard great things said about DarkVoice, Schiit etc.

I hope that's of some help.

I'm Sergio.

Highest league of head amps - Cavalli Audio

or - Dark Star of Ray Samuelson.

or my head amp.

(post number 8)
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-s-Tuning-Room
    Future is bright, great and positive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123