+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about headphones -Advice welcome

I'm Brian.

Default Thinking about headphones -Advice welcome

Now I have another CD, I'm thinking of headphones now.

I'm thinking about getting Momentum 1 over ears, or beyerdynamics DT880 pro 250ohm. I've heard the Momentums and they seem quite good.

Running through my Cyrus 1 and TEAC CD when I get it.

Or is there any other makes I should consider. I was thinking about going to HD650 or something, but would there be a massive difference?

I'm Sergio.

Brian,

I have Sennheiser Momentum (first version) and my opinion - it's cans for portative.

For serious listening of cans you have to buy a headamp.

Beyers with high Ohms will requre designated headamp, 'cos most of cans are low Ohms.

HD650 will play good most of musical genres (or "moods") except some extreme heavy genres.
    Future is bright, great and positive.

I'm Doug.

I mostly agree with Sergio here; though I own HD600s and have only heard HD650s in a store. But I think that HD600s are great all-around headphones. I'm even thinking of buying another pair just in case; they're that good. Keep in mind here that the Sennheisers (HD600, HD650) are not for everyone; some find the treble rolled off, some find the presentation too laid-back. I just think of them as neutral.
    "...one door shuts and then another closes"

- Ian Dury

I'm Lars.

I have Grado RS- 1 (the older model than the the RS 1 e) Before that I had RS 80, now called RS 80 e. It was a quite good headphone and, as my RS 1, easy to drive from the jack in the amp. I agree that a headphone amp will improve the sound in regards of the jack on some stereo amp's. I experienced that when I bought a headphone amp, first with the RS 80 and later with the RS-1. More headroom, bass and small details. I moved from stereo to a hifi amp. And because the Grado's are so easy to drive, I found they did not need the headphone amp anymore because they suddenly sounded equally good from the headphone amp and the hifi amp's jack. Now, if you go for something like Beyerdynamics or Sennheiser, that is tougher to drive, I think you will need a headphone amp to get the best out of them. But with easy driven headphones like Grado, I would think that you're Cyrus 1 should offer a good sound. But that aside, I looked at pictures of Cyrus 1 and I can't see a headphone jack on it. Are there different Cyrus 1 models? Anyway, I would recommend you listen to Grado RS 80 e if you have the opportunity at a dealer close to you. It's been some years since I sold my RS 80, but I remember the sound being pleasant and coherent with a good amount of detail. And I found them good enough to stick with Grado when I upgraded.

Edit I've just checked the price tag on the headphones you thinking about. In danish kroner, but our prices on electronics are similar to other EU countries. So I would say if you go listen to Grado, try the SR 225 e. I remember that there were a difference on the sr 60 and 80 so I paid a little more. Needless to say, it was night and day moving from RS 80 to RS-1
    Last edited by Dane; 31-08-2015 at 16:51.

I'm tony.

Superlux offer great VFM and sound quality. 668b/330/440/660 are all commendable. Check out the THOMMAN site for prices. AKG240 velvet pads fit them and improve the comfort. Good reviews on headfi...

Senn 650s are fantastic cans...which are keepers. 700s are worth every penny but both really benefit from a dedicated HPA (beresford capella will let you tune settings to get the best from any can you plumb in-budget to esoteric) IMHO.

I'm Brian.

The Cyrus I have is one of the first ones and has the headphone socket on the back panel. Problem is that it doesn't cut the sound of the speakers. However I have an old set of electrostatic headphones which has an energiser with a 'speakers/phones' switch.

I'm inactive.

I have Sennheiser Momentum and HD600s and agree with Sergio - the Momentum are fine for 'on the go' or short periods but not comfortable for longer listening; they are described as over-ear but are really 'on-ear'.

The HD600 seem to disappear when I put them on - they are that comfortable. Also have the edge soundwise and are not fatiguing at all although actually the Momentum have a bit more punch with rock and a little more high-end detail. I use the HD600 with a Cmoy headphone amp but it is also fine with the jack on my Q-Dac and a QED speaker switching unit with headphone output direct from a Quad 405-2.

I'm oscar.

What are your old headphones & do you like the sound , do you want open or closed back h/phones . Theres lots of great headphones out there you will need a decent headphone amp to get the most out of them though.
    www.oscarsaudio.co.uk Turntable Mats , Platforms , Headphone Stands , Cables , Cones

I'm guy.

If you do decide on the Grado option it is well worth while looking at Alessandro MS1 - I think that they improve on the SR80, but for some reason they are significantly cheaper to buy direct from Canada than buying Grado in Europe (despite being tweaked Grado)

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarsaudio View Post
    What are your old headphones & do you like the sound , do you want open or closed back h/phones . Theres lots of great headphones out there you will need a decent headphone amp to get the most out of them though.
    I can't remember now and I'm not at home. Had them for many years and have kept them because the Mission doesn't have a switch to turn off the speakersm when listening to the headphones, but the energiser does. They sound ok, but I don't think they sound as good as the momentums I've tried.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast