+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dane's Hi-Fi

I'm Lars.

Default Dane's Hi-Fi

The Entertainment center

Musical Fidelity X-DAC V 8. An older model, but still going strong, mainly because I don't listen to CD's that often. Very clean sounding with lots of detail. I bought it as an upgrade for my NAD C 542. Audiolab 8200 P. 2 x 150 watt 4 ohm. Quite enough to drive my speakers with grip and headroom. Pro-Ject Speed Box S, a must have with their TT's. It really tighten up the sound, get's the music more snappy and more tight bassline

Audiolab 8200 Q. Pre amp. It has a gain selector and that have proven to be handy, as I am able to fine tune the sound from my TV, DAC etc. And a remarkably good headphone jack. I actually sold my headphone amp after I got the 8200 Q because I could not hear any difference.

Grado RS-1. They're been with me for some years now and I never gonna get rid of them. They just sound excellent.

AVID Pellar. I upgraded it from Musical Fidelity X-LPS V8. Which was a good phono stage. But AVID is much more detailed, better bassline and totally quiet background.

JBL LS 80. What can I say? I love horns and I love a good bassline. I have had Klipsch standmount and then Snell. Loved Snell's bass, but was missing Klipsch's horn sound. Now I have the best of two worlds

Pro-Ject 2xperience Classic. Before that, it was Debut III. A huge step up from that. The Debut's relaxed sound was hard to forget when I was listing to other tables when looking for a new TT. So It had to be Pro-ject again. I had a Dynavector 10x5 HO MC on my Classic and did not think I could got back to MM again when it was time for a change. It was very groovy and quite detailed. But The Ortofon 2 M Black sounded very tempting on various reviews and forums. And I decided that I would go over my "buying new cartridge budget" and have a go, despite it being an MM. Glad I did. It just took my TT to a whole new level. All you read on the web is true. It really is as good as "they" say: It just kind of give you the information in the groove and hand it to you on a silver platter, so to speak.

My system as a whole have a high degree of details. At high volume the music is powerful and controlled but still kind of relaxed with a hint of warmth. The music is delivered with ease and totally fills the room. I have managed to find my preference in how I like my music and I dare to say that I have a good quality hi-fi system that is not getting in the way of the music. I only hear the music not the system. It might be a cliche, but it's true. But it have taken some years of saving up and upgrading to get there. My interests in getting good hi-fi purely comes from my love for listening to music. Music is food for the soul
    Last edited by Dane; 29-08-2015 at 19:29.

I'm James.

Hi Lars,

those headphones look substantial.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm martin.

Hi Lars, nice set up and great write up, welcome.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Lars.

Thank's both of you I just edited a few typos since english isn't my native language. But I'm glad you like my write up. Yes, Grado makes awesome headphones. Mahogany makes them light and quality leather soft on the head. Only thing I did not like was the open ear cushions. It hurts because my ears got pressed against the wood. But shortly after I got them, I replaced it with cushions for Grado sr80 and been using them ever since, I'm on my third pair now, they are quite durable. They fit right on and then you have a comfortable headphone with great sound. The sound difference from the open cushions and the closed was subtle, like speakers with and without grill on.

I'm Shane.

Can't beat a set of Grado's

S.

I'm Josie.

Hi Lars.

Very nice setup... some very nice kit indeed, a well balanced system. Bet it sounds tops!

Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Mike.

Welcome to AoS Lars.

Great write up, nicely put together system and a great story about why you chose the various components
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Robert.

Welcome Lars, Nice system - glad you are in a good place with your set up. I was too but one thing after the other means I'm still trying to get there again. Congrats on taking a punt on the 2M Black and finding out what a super cart it is. I find it a fussy thing re: set up but then I remember how awesome it is when on song and I cant ever let it go

I'm Lars.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Lars.

Very nice setup... some very nice kit indeed, a well balanced system. Bet it sounds tops!

Jo
    Thanks for noticing. It is indeed well balanced. When you don't have loads of money for hi-fi, you have to think about synergy between the components. I read about that on the web: Instead of focusing on a single item, think about how it will interact with either your current components or future components, you're planning to buy. When I bought my DAC, it was totally overkill with my budget stereo. But I knew that I would upgrade the rest later and today it fits right in. I spend almost the same amount on cables that my whole stereo system cost back then. But I still use them today.
    Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Can't beat a set of Grado's

S.
    You're sure can't. Details and pleasant sound is the trademark. I had a Grado Gold cartridge once, really nice analog sound too.

I'm Lars.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Welcome to AoS Lars.

Great write up, nicely put together system and a great story about why you chose the various components
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Welcome Lars, Nice system - glad you are in a good place with your set up. I was too but one thing after the other means I'm still trying to get there again. Congrats on taking a punt on the 2M Black and finding out what a super cart it is. I find it a fussy thing re: set up but then I remember how awesome it is when on song and I cant ever let it go
    Yes the 2 M Black needs some attention to set up. I had read about it being fussy, so I took my time (about an hour) and got it right the first time. It really pays off to be patient with the set up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast