+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The awful truth of DAB

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Radio 4 changes sound every so often for me and I accept the superior quality of Radio 3. Not always my taste in
    music though, so I suppose my comments should be confined to Radio 2 and Radio 1.
    Is this FM radio or streamed or DAB?
    Just for clarification.

BTW, I've just changed to Radio4 (internet stream using Squeezebox), and I'm astonished to hear that The Archers is coming at me in mono. Is this the same on FM, and if so, when did they stop broadcasting The Archers in stereo?
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 30-08-2015 at 09:56.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't use DAB.

In the 1970's and early 80's, FM in the UK, both commercial and BBC, used to be world-class, but something went wrong as increased compression and radio-loudness-wars started up. DAB at 256 was deemed good enough, but the powers that be settled on 192, which is bad on some voices and leaves no wriggle-room for distorted source material apparently.

Good radio 3 live broadcasts aside, I really don't think 'sound quality' comes into it these days and my assertion about the compressed DAB feed being syphoned off to the FM feed came from an engineer.

DAB at it's best should sound amazing. But as usual, it's been compromised and has been outdated for some considerable time I understand. My experiences of internet radio are very positive, however and I have very positive vibes about a radio 2 show ACDC's Brian Johnson did a while ago, the iPlayer stream sounding truly excellent on both speech and the wonderful music he played.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rich.

We have a Yamaha mini system in the dining room I bought when DAB was still considered the future of Radio. DAB is consistently awful I find, via the FM tuner things are better but the best results I get is by plugging my phone or tablet into one of its aux inputs and streaming Internet radio that way. I just use a radio app like Tunein for any station I want.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Is this FM radio or streamed or DAB?
    Just for clarification.

BTW, I've just changed to Radio4 (internet stream using Squeezebox), and I'm astonished to hear that The Archers is coming at me in mono. Is this the same on FM, and if so, when did they stop broadcasting The Archers in stereo?
    As a life-long Archers fan (there I've said it - I've 'come out'), I can reliably inform you that on FM (which is the only broadcast medium I use) the Archers is in stereo.
    Barry

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As a life-long Archers fan (there I've said it - I've 'come out'), I can reliably inform you that on FM (which is the only broadcast medium I use) the Archers is in stereo.
    Oh the shame of it!
    Fount Master & Moderator of AoS admits to listening to The Archers scandal
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Oh the shame of it!
    Fount Master & Moderator of AoS admits to listening to The Archers scandal
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123