+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MC Cartridge Recommendations

I'm Gavin.

Default MC Cartridge Recommendations

Hi guys,

I have always used MM cartridges and am wanting to "dip my toes" into the MC world. Quite a daunting task as there are so many to choose from in the market. These are a few that have captured my eye...

Audio Technica AT-OC9 MKIII - 0.5mV
    Audio Technica AT-33 EV - 0.3mV
    Audio Technica AT33PTG/II - 0.3mV
    Dynavector 20 x2 - 0.3mV - Maybe a little more expensive than my budget
    ZYX R-50 Bloom Low Output - 0.24mV

Cartridge would be mounted on an Audiomods MKV tonearm. I am testing out the Firebottle 2 phono stage so would like to see and hear the differences between MC and MM. Music genres I listen to mainly are rock and metal. Are there any other cartridges you would recommend? Lastly I would be willing to purchase a second hand cartridge if anyone has one that they are not using.

Apologies if this is question is not in the right subforum. Still finding my feet

I'm Geoff.

You'll get recommendations of member's favourites, but will these suit your system?

If your system falls on the 'detailed' side of things, Audio Technicas should be auditioned if possible in the system as they tend to be revealing.

The ZYX is rich and deep sounding and the Dynavector maybe somewhere in between (good cart though).

Have you considered the Goldring Eroica LX? I've got one and find it very musical. It's the only non ZYX MC I've kept.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Second Geoff's reccies there. ZYX are very good indeed- at a cost - but even at the price they are very good. I also have an Eroica LX and can recommend it.

I have an AT31E I bought secondhand and it's a stonking cart for the money. I could happily live with it if I didn't have a bit extra to spend.

Currently use a Rondo Bronze which I like very much indeed, suits my 401 and Tecnoarm well. Also have a Denon DL S1 which I know can sound better than any of the carts I have, but need to change my arm to get the best out of it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Gavin. I see you use a Cambridge 640P phono stage. Are you considering an upgrade?

The 640P is fine at it's price and although really suited to budget cartridges, it will work with the mentioned MCs, but it will not allow them to show what they are really capable of.

I know, 'cos I've tried one and compared it to a large number of other phono stages.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You'll get recommendations of member's favourites, but will these suit your system?

If your system falls on the 'detailed' side of things, Audio Technicas should be auditioned if possible in the system as they tend to be revealing.

The ZYX is rich and deep sounding and the Dynavector maybe somewhere in between (good cart though).

Have you considered the Goldring Eroica LX? I've got one and find it very musical. It's the only non ZYX MC I've kept.
    The main cartridge I have tried out on the Firebottle 2 is a Godlring 1042. Finding it very musical and highly enjoyable, although could do with a tad more "smoothness". Very happy with the combination but just looking to see what MC cartridges will bring to the table. I tend to listen to vinyl mainly through headphones...still going to get speakers at some stage. Didn't know about the Goldring Eroica LX...as I already enjoy the Goldring 1042 this could be an option.

I'm Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Gavin. I see you use a Cambridge 640P phono stage. Are you considering an upgrade?

The 640P is fine at it's price and it will work with the mentioned MCs, but will not allow them to show what they are really capable of.

I know, 'cos I've tried one and compared it to a large number of other phono stages.
    I have the Firebottle 2 on loan at the moment, and for me it has easily trumped the Cambridge. I am seriously considering getting one

I'm Andrew.

What's your budget?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm peter.

You don't mention your deck. The old 'Linn' line of deck first, then arm, then cartridge, seems to me broadly correct. So the least expensive option...in the long term...could be to upgrade the deck first, and possibly the arm (although it's probably pretty good) before spending on dodgy things like cartridges...'dodgy' in the sense that they are so sensitive to partnering equipment, and so hard to audition. It's a lottery.
    A fine deck and arm with a cheap but good cartridge will easily outperform a more expensive cartridge on an inferior deck.The point about using a good phono amp is also sensible, although I personally find the Cambridge ok, if a touch 'bland.'
    The central point is that upgrading key components first, in quite big 'jumps' is probably cheaper than endless sideways moves. I know, I am that man......

I'm Steve.

If it's of interest I have an almost new AT OC9/iii I'm about to put up for sale (when I get round to photographing it!).

I'm Barry.

Hi Gavin , I went down the same road a couple of months back , I bought an Eroica LX which I actually liked better than my 2M Black , it was more involving although the surface noise was greater than the Ortofon. I sold the Black and got tempted by a deal on an AT33EV which was a lot quieter between tracks than the Eroica and an all round classier sound.
    I would have bought Steve's AT OC9/iii if it had been available at the time , the full price was a bit too much for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast