+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bypassing a nad pre.

I'm nigel.

Default bypassing a nad pre.

my son recently gifted me his TAG MACLAREN PA10 pre amp and it has breathed new life into my much loved NAD 3120 amp.
    everything about the sound is much improved and this got me wondering...is it possible to power down the preamp side of the nad and convert it to a pure poweramp?

although the controls are now out of the loop I guess there is still juice being delivered, i.e, being diverted from the power side.....I hope this makes sense!!

NIGE.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

In short, no!
    If you're a dab hand at tracing circuits and know your way around amplifiers then it could be done, but if not leave it well alone.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    my son recently gifted me his TAG MACLAREN PA10 pre amp and it has breathed new life into my much loved NAD 3120 amp.
    everything about the sound is much improved and this got me wondering...is it possible to power down the preamp side of the nad and convert it to a pure power
    although the controls are now out of the loop I guess there is still juice being delivered, i.e, being diverted from the power side.....I hope this makes sense!!

NIGE.
    Nigel, I'm no expert but I'm guessing if you're using the nads pre in 'you're already by passing the nads pre amp thus making it a power amp,think I'm right but happy to be proved wrong if there is any power left going to the pure of the nad surely it can't have any negative effect? Jim
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 29-08-2015 at 14:05. Reason: got me pre in and out wrong, doh!!
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Jez.

If you have removed the links on the back for power out and pre in/lab in and have connected the TAG output to either pre in or (better) lab in then you are already doing this!

I'm nigel.

yeah, I'm going preout from the tag into the lab in on the nad.....but I'm thinking there is still power from the supply feeding the nads preamp.
    would deleting this (admittedly low current) improve the power amps sound?

NIGE.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    yeah, I'm going preout from the tag into the lab in on the nad.....but I'm thinking there is still power from the supply feeding the nads preamp.
    would deleting this (admittedly low current) improve the power amps sound?

NIGE.
    No.

+ Reply to Thread