+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Consider the dear old Shure 97xe...it's £70! And it's great.

I'm Stephen.

Struth, is there any difference between the Turntableneedles Shibata and the one sold by LPGear as their "SA" replacement for the AT95 stylus?

I'm Johan.

My best advise is to get an old Shure, late sixties/early seventies, without plastic on the housing. Then you can fit different styli on it.

Buy this needle, and find it to be all you need:

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_i...oducts_id=1017

Eats AT 95 for breakfast!

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    I've used the Shure is preference to £4000 cartridges.
    Despite Peter's endorsements, I'm afraid the M97xE will remain one of hi-fi's best kept secrets because it's too ugly and as noted, does not have the rising HF response of MCs that appeals to hi-fi buffs. Having previously had (expensive) MCs (Supex, Koetsu, Transfig, Ortofons) I have no desire to return to a LOMC set up, not least because the equally fabulous Croft 25 phono only does MM.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Steve.

Of all the cartridges i have owned expensive and cheap i can honestly say that i have never heard a bad sounding Shure cartridge. I can see what people see in them. They just play music well and don't require a mortgage.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Shure M44G - another possible 'giant-killer'?

I would definitely agree with that, Steve. They have a well-judged overall balance, which is unlikely to 'offend'. As such, they're a safe choice. I think that, and their keen pricing, is the reason for their success. Trouble is, IME, they don't really get your 'juices flowing', except for the venerable old M3D, which is a 'ballsy', groovy-sounding bitch!

One Shure cartridge I want to try soon, as a result of applying some lateral thinking, is an M44G. This is billed as being a 'DJ cartridge', but has lower-output and VTF requirements than normal, tracking at 0.75 to 1.5 gram, instead of the usually 'insane' 4-5g of many other such designs.

I read an article about a Japanese audiophile's, circa £30k system, and on his T/T (a Pioneer Exclusive P3a) was a 'lowly' M44G, which he said when mounted on a quality T/T and tonearm sounded wonderful, and was one which often 'escaped' the thinking of audiophiles, because it's dismissed simply as a 'DJ cartridge'. He also mentioned that it responds well to the fitting of 'posh', aftermarket, styli.

Well, as they cost next to nothing, I intend to try one soon and report back on the results!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    Despite Peter's endorsements, I'm afraid the M97xE will remain one of hi-fi's best kept secrets because it's too ugly and as noted, does not have the rising HF response of MCs that appeals to hi-fi buffs. Having previously had (expensive) MCs (Supex, Koetsu, Transfig, Ortofons) I have no desire to return to a LOMC set up, not least because the equally fabulous Croft 25 phono only does MM.
    Interesting....I use the Croft RIAA and it is rather fine; for £500 it is , in audio terms, exceptionally well priced too. As you say, the Shure is ugly, doesn't sound 'shiny' and only costs £70. That is never the stuff of legend!
    Oddly enough, I'm not someone who only likes low-priced stuff. I sometimes fancy quite costly things too. But always, always, I want to feel I have had true value for my money.
    As I think we have all learnt (the hard way) there is no obvious correlation between audio quality and price, above a certain basic level.
    As for the Shure 44, I can't comment; but another somewhat curious belief among some audio guys is that only old things are any good.....I sometimes use speakers from the 1930s ( Voigt Corner Horns) but I like the best of the modern stuff too. There are no fixed 'rules.'
    Anarchy prevails, and long may it remain so.

I'm Clive.

I must admit, I do very much regret selling my V15III. It was sitting in the back of a drawer for many years (I was having a love affair with CD at the time). It only had about 50-60 hrs on it. Sold it on e-Bay for 90 sovs about 5-6 yrs ago. Muppet!
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    As for the Shure 44, I can't comment; but another somewhat curious belief among some audio guys is that only old things are any good.....I sometimes use speakers from the 1930s ( Voigt Corner Horns) but I like the best of the modern stuff too. There are no fixed 'rules.'
    Anarchy prevails, and long may it remain so.
    Indeed. I think the difference though, amongst discerning audio guys, is that their opinion is not 'only old things are any good', but rather that 'the BEST old things are often better than new things' - and, when suitably fettled (if necessary), that is where lies true 'SPPV'

That's certainly my view (and at the core of the AoS ethos), as there is far more 'old junk' out there, in terms of audio equipment, than genuinely good stuff, but when you discover some of that, then the results are often truly exceptional.

The M44 is an interesting one, and way off the 'radar' of audiophiles, for obvious reasons, but that's what intrigues me about trying it, as I enjoy thinking outside the box and, as a result, often discovering hidden audio gems!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Have you tried a good ADC Marco?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Not for years, Geoff, but I do rate them [used and optimised in the right set-up]

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast