+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted.. a little box on my sideboard to play my audio

I'm Shane.

What's your objection to the squeezebox? Basically it does exactly what you want, except that the music tracks are stored in your computer rather than in the device itself. It does need the computer to be switched on and connected to your home network while it's working, but you don't need to access the computer as the squeezebox has its own remote which tells it which tracks to extract from the computer. If you don't want your computer switched on all the time you can plug a simple network storage box to your network and run it from that, which would still be cheaper and more versatile than the Brennan.

it also has the advantage that it can connect to the Internet, which opens up a whole world (literally) of Internet radio stations, including BBC iPlayer.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm John.

I ve got a set of audio engine a2+ speakers ( £175) and a Phillips Bluetooth receiver (£30) . Then I send music to it from a sony portable hi res player (£150) . I can also player spotify from my ipad . The sony player will allow micro sd cards up to 64gb plus 16 gb of internal memory. Speakers sound loads better than they have any right to and the sony also allows hi res audio and gives you the option of a portable player. Prices are a rough guess but I think they are fairly close.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    It does need the computer to be switched on and connected to your home network while it's working, but you don't need to access the computer as the squeezebox has its own remote which tells it which tracks to extract from the computer
    Not necessarily the case.
    A Squeezebox Touch can run as a standalone unit, you just need to put your files onto a USB memory stick or a SD card (the Touch has both USB and a card slot) and run the Touch on its embedded server.

If all the OP is playing is MP3 files the Touch should cope quite admirably.

It will of course need to be connected to an amplifier and speakers, so it's outside of the small box on the sideboard category.

If the OP fancies a bit of DIY it's possible to build up a Raspberry Pi with an integrated amplifier board. It will however need to be connected to speakers, so not one box.
    If not the Brennan B2 looks to be the best fit for the brief given. It too will need to be connected to some speakers, so again, not a one box solution.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It will of course need to be connected to an amplifier and speakers, so it's outside of the small box on the sideboard category.
    Chris... from the OP first post, he is looking for

"A stand alone box, preferably on my sideboard (with or without amp or speakers) that I can download my CDs content into and then sit in my chair with a remote playing various tracks."

... so there is some flexibility with what can be offered
    CDP: Primare CD31 Amp: Audio Note Oto SE DAC: M2Tech Young & Van Der Graaf PSU Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots
    Streaming: bespoke Korus server with SOtM soundcard, AudioQuest Jitterbug & Furutech GT2 USB cable
    Speaker Cable: Tellurium Q Black - Interconnects: MS Audio/Klotz MC5000

Come Chill With Me...
    https://www.mixcloud.com/orbscure
    http://theorbscureddj.blogspot.co.uk
    + play + enjoy + float + dream +

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

In that case a Squeezebox Touch fits the bill.
    Can't buy 'em new without paying silly money, but they turn up on Ebay all the time.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm James.

Sony HAP S1 will do everything you want and has built I amp so all you need are speakers. It may be a bit more sophisticated that what you require now but will be ideal for future digital needs aswell?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Paul.

Once again thanks for all help and suggestions..

I'll certainly look into Squeeze box ...I had heard of it but wasn't sure what it was all about.

Regarding streaming from PC etc that's something I don't want to do or I could just have got a cheapy laptop and hooked it to my sound system

Ok...now I'll start trawling for squeezebox results and info....I appreciate the suggestion that it might be a replacement for the Brennan and about looking into Rasberry mods

Certainly a very helpful forum.

I'm Shaun.

My significant other half has a Brennan JB7 for sale in the Private Ads section that fits the bill perfectly. It is a stand alone unit including loudspeakers and in built amplifier. Damn fine unit once owned by her father who passed away a year ago. Yours for £325-00. It is a 320Gb unit by the way.

The main unit has been used but is mint whilst the loudspeakers have never been used.

All in original boxes.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 27-08-2015 at 15:32. Reason: Addition:

I'm Malcolm.

This solution includes a computer, but only for set-up...

Tracks stored to PC in chosen format.

iPod Touch has the tracks on it, and becomes a remote control for track selection
    Simple, economical mini system with Bluetooth (good) or AirPlay (better, but needs wi-fi) to do the reproduction bit. Could be as simple as a Bose Soundlink Mini or B&W Zeppelin for ultimate low-key/no hifi to see here kind of thing.

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12