+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Super-Sound Cord style" Interconnects

I'm rupert.

ah, ok. Thank's

I'm Deleted.

As mentioned earlier, if you are trying to duplicate the construction of SSC then the shields aren't connected at all. The centre stranded conductor of one length is the hot and the other cable the return (two lengths of coax per channel). Personally I found them disappointingly poor when I tried them with a rather contrived sound.
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

As I recall Mark and with all due respect, you dissed the first set, caused an outcry of protests, so tried them again, finding them not quite as bad as you thought previously!

What the heck guys. SSC isn't so expensive when compared to other online interconnects. The price of better quality RG316U on Farnell is over a ton for 25m drums and the 'official' stuff I use comes on 100m drums - I've seen it and use it, but swear I have no knowledge of the source of the *actual* cable used and just have to trust in what I'm told about it. No direction, no fuss, but a very 'master tape' kind of literal quality which works incredibly well in some systems. I hear differences in recordings, recording venue and find I can hear deeply into recorded mixes with no effort. Does it for me in my increasingly NVA based workroom system and those phono plugs aren't anything like as tacky as they look - so there!

'The Doc' has a way with doing things and is genuinely very careful with the raw materials he uses in his products. He does it his way for well thought out reasons, some of which are becoming clearer to more people as time goes on. Many ways of getting from A to B and it's the same in audio and I'm very much enjoying this 'alternative route' to getting there

The HH amp really likes Klotz cables, both the AC110 and MC5000. Brian here does a lovely job making up the MC5000/MS plugs and again, doesn't charge much for labour - and it DOES take time to make them up properly, as it does the 'official' SSC - another quite expensive wire by the standards of the stuff sold for far more money elsewhere. Old friend Chris and I also use MC5000's with our passively driven Crown power amps and the whole is definitely better than the sum of the parts.

Far better cable to play with is the Ecoflex 10, a 10.2mm rf cable with seven thick copper cores and a heavily woven copper screen. Difficult to bend and to find half decent phono connectors for, but I love the stuff and it works a dream with the Krell KSA 50S driven from the P50 passive.

You know chaps, many people would faint at all this cable speak, but seriously Mr Firebottle, there are far better cable types to try out - catalogues full of the stuff - and some of these lend themselves to all manner of wiring configurations, with or without the shield/drain being connected at whatever end works best
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    As mentioned earlier, if you are trying to duplicate the construction of SSC then the shields aren't connected at all. The centre stranded conductor of one length is the hot and the other cable the return (two lengths of coax per channel). Personally I found them disappointingly poor when I tried them with a rather contrived sound.
    Like any interconnect they are going to perform differently when connecting different kit. With some combinations of kit/interconnects the difference is marginal or non-existent, with others it can make things noticably better or worse.

I found after trying many, many interconnects and never being entirely happy with the results that the SSC worked absolutely perfectly in my system, and still do. You can try them on 30 day sale or return and they are not expensive in any case so Alan, I don't really see the point of making them DIY, especially as the manufacturer claims that the specific type of cable used is not available off the shelf in any case.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cagey, (Kevin) sent me some NVA interconnects (I think it was SSCs, but Kevin can confirm), and I thought they were great overall, with perhaps being just a tad bass-light. However, all manner of things could've been responsible for that, as these things are very system dependent.

For the money, however, they were pretty good

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Like any interconnect they are going to perform differently when connecting different kit. With some combinations of kit/interconnects the difference is marginal or non-existent, with others it can make things noticably better or worse. Fully agree.

.... I don't really see the point of making them DIY, especially as the manufacturer claims that the specific type of cable used is not available off the shelf in any case.
    As the cable was in my stock and I had the inexpensive connectors already I though I would give them a go, total cost about £6. A bit different to £70.
    I am sure the RG316U is as close a match to the 'aeronautical grade' as makes no difference.

It was good of the designer to correct the error of my ways with the construction, I've now tried them with screens unconnected and can hear no difference.
    The capacitance is 3 times lower with the screens unconnected but with well designed stages with low output impedance this will have no noticeable difference.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cagey, (Kevin) sent me some NVA interconnects (I think it was SSCs, but Kevin can confirm), and I thought they were great overall, with perhaps being just a tad bass-light. However, all manner of things could've been responsible for that, as these things are very system dependent.

For the money, however, they were pretty good

Marco.
    Yep, an original, unmolested set of NVA SSC.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

I've used them with a variety of power amps now, valve and solid state with excellent results. If you are using an NVA passive pre and you are not using these or the more expensive NVA cables - you absolutely must try them. When Alan brought round his OTL amp I used them to connect that up and that was the best sound I have ever had from my system, comparable with a system I had heard some months previously in a dealers that was north of £20,000. And that was with my fairly humble vinyl source.

Not forgiven you yet for letting me hear that OTL amp, Alan, I'm worried it has ruined anything else for me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Looks like I've rattled the cage elsewhere about my £6 leads.

Always a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Just because I post a link to a site showing where to buy RG316 doesn't mean i got it from there.

If fact it cost me nothing
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Alan, remember the rule we have in place here about 'elsewhere'

Let's stick to just discussing cables, mate

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast