+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Squeezebox Transporter Mods"

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Without trying or even understanding how something works I try not to comment too much but must admit to being a little curious here

I know the sort of results to be had with upgrading psu's and regulation, how much of an improvement do you hear using the Bybee's compared to say after upgrading regulation? is it as noticeable or is it much more subtle?

Being into modding/building stuff for my own use its something I find interesting
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Greg.

I tried to deal with Audiocom a few years ago and go the most appalling service ever. I've not been back since.

The Audiocom reasponse to my post says absolutely nothing. No evidence is offered to justify why they use bybee or cryo treated sockets. It remains alot of very big bollocks. Don't get sucked into their 'Snake Oil' The whole thing is a nonsence!

Mark, thanks for your suggestion but actually I'd never ever deal with Audiocom again. In my experience their customer service is rubbish.

Regards,

Greg

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    No evidence is offered to justify why they use bybee or cryo treated sockets. It remains alot of very big bollocks. Greg
    Start here:
    http://www.bybeetech.com/reviews.asp
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Greg,

I guess that we've had entirely different experiences then... I've been dealing with Mark for years with various things and always found him a consummate professional offering exemplary service, furthermore he *really* knows his stuff with anything digital.

The Bybees may seem like 'snake oil' (I thought that too!), until I tried just one in a critical part of the circuit of my DAC... The difference was quite frankly stunning considering it was just a tiny little filter.

You know that Sony DAC that I used to take to Owston and it usually always outperformed the DACs guys like Nick G had built, amongst others, (in fact, it won the DAC 'shoot out' at the first Owston I attended where I think you were present). Well..... The reason it sounded so good was because of Mark's modifications!!

Mark,

Thanks very much for the info on the Transporter. I suspect that's the route I'll go down when I'm in the market for a high-end music server.

I'll give you a ring next week sometime for a chat. Ian and I would like to come down (as we discussed before), so we can thrash out the details

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When I read this I laughed big

Ridiculous Snake Oil. Components with no scientific authentisity. It put me off immediately. Some of us here must be realists not blinkered by the bollocks of hi-fi mystism.

*New technology from Bybee which cannot be disclosed here. Please e-mail.

Is this meant to make us think something mystical and secret is happening here, only available to the favoured grail seekers? Sorry, no...........far too much bollocks again! If you value your credability, you should be ashamed!

Try again and produce something in reality.

Regards,

Greg
    I'm with you Greg, Cryo treated IEC inlet socket....!!?? What a **** ** *******!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Can't speak for the Cryo-treated IEC inlet sockets (LOL ), but don't knock the Bybees!

And like I said, in my experience, Mark makes some of the best digital gear I've ever heard, so the results speak for themselves, 'Cryo-treated IEC inlet sockets' or not...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

The bybee technology may well be useful when transporting digital signals to some DACs, but of no use in systems where the digital signal fed to the DAC chip is a clocked version of the original. So if you select your external DAC carefully, you can say bye bye to bybee.

Hi Stan,

Everything is relative, I guess. It's all about application and implementation. I'm a great believer in analysing things as a system rather than focussing on the merits or otherwise of individual components.

Experience tells me Mark's overall digital 'systems' work brilliantly.

Yours, of course, are none too shabby either!

Right, I'm off to the Whittlebury Hall show, so you guys play nice now...

Laters,
    Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can't speak for the Cryo-treated IEC inlet sockets (LOL ), but don't knock the Bybees!

And like I said, in my experience, Mark makes some of the best digital gear I've ever heard, so the results speak for themselves, 'Cryo-treated IEC inlet sockets' or not...

Marco.
    Hi Marco

To install the Bybee in the Transporter we cannot use the original manufacturers IEC inlet because it is a PCB mount type. We had a batch of IEC inlets cryogenically treated together with other AC parts, actually FURUTECH have been using the process for years.

Website

Facebook

Twitter

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    I know the sort of results to be had with upgrading psu's and regulation, how much of an improvement do you hear using the Bybee's compared to say after upgrading regulation? is it as noticeable or is it much more subtle?
    Hi Leo

The improvements with Bybee purifiers can be equal to that of upgrading regulated power supplies, but these improvements differ on what influence they have on the music. They are best applied to the transformer secondaries, although the combination of also using them on the AC input brings greater gains.

Website

Facebook

Twitter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast