+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycling/Cyclists

I'm Rob.

Default Cycling/Cyclists

I cycle regularly for my physical and mental well-being. I have a decent hybrid bike, but don't spend money on clothing to look the part. I suppose I look a bit of a pikey

I have found that not only are the road race types rude and unfriendly, but most other cyclists ignore you if you nod to them or dare to open your mouth with "hi" or "alright". Maybe it's me?.....as a motorist I don't greet every motorist that comes my way, and I would not expect them to do the same. However, I cycle mainly country roads and lanes and you don't come across many cyclists. I suppose snobbery comes into every aspect of life.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Pete.

By a strange coincidence Rob, I've just bought a second hand MTB, which given the state of the roads around where I live, is ideal for my recreational/light off-road cycling plans. I too have absolutely no intention of donning any Lycra (outside of the house that is) but I'm struggling to find decent/plain but nice looking casual cycling gear which doesn't make me look like a Tour de France competitor... Having said that, an old pair of casual cotton shorts, a t-shirt and non road bike cycle helmet were all I needed in the sweltering heat yesterday, so perhaps all is not lost
    CDP: Primare CD31 Amp: Audio Note Oto SE DAC: M2Tech Young & Van Der Graaf PSU Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots
    Streaming: bespoke Korus server with SOtM soundcard, AudioQuest Jitterbug & Furutech GT2 USB cable
    Speaker Cable: Tellurium Q Black - Interconnects: MS Audio/Klotz MC5000

Come Chill With Me...
    https://www.mixcloud.com/orbscure
    http://theorbscureddj.blogspot.co.uk
    + play + enjoy + float + dream +

I'm Rob.

Aldi and Lidl often have sports wear special buys. Lidl had some cycling stuff the other day. The problem is that most of it is Lycra. Some can look ok and some makes you look like a twat, or at the worst Michelin Man, even though I am only around 11 stone. You can't try it on and I am the type that if I buy something cheap that isn't any good I can rarely be bothered to take it back (cost of travel and hassle factor) so it goes in the cupboard never to be seen again. I have an old Adidas track suit top that has got to be 35 years old, but it has some diagonal bright yellow stripes on it that are good enough to help you get seen, and a pair of gel 3/4 lycra bottoms that I wear a pair of lightweight shorts over to save my embarrassment, or being accused of being a MAMIL (Middles Aged Man In Lycra)!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Richard.

Motorcycling has the same snobbery. Race replica riders won't acknowledge Harley riders, and vice versa. No-one acknowledges scooterists. I will nod to anyone, but they often don't respond if on a different "class" of bike.
    ABD.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Seems to be a cultural thing. If you are out and about in the country here, folk always greet each other.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Motorcycling has the same snobbery.
    Hardly surprising.

Harleys are about 'image'. The wrong kind as far as I'm concerned. Either louts in cut off denim jackets who have an Angels fixation and think they look mean. Or old gits with too much money, buying their childish, childhood dream! None of them realising that they are riding the (mostly) gutless two wheeled equivalent of a tractor. A thirty year old Aprilia 125 will leave them behind!

The 'Plastic Rockets' (race replicas) are ridden by those who just want to race each other on the road and go as fast as possible everywhere. I can hear them every night on the M4 (not far from me), screaming the life out of the bikes. Obviously hitting well into 100+mph speeds and not giving a toss about the law.

Scooter? They're for going to work on.

Yes. I do know what I'm talking about. I rode bikes most of my life.

(just waiting for indignant responses now )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Was just looking at a brand new Harley in the car park at the pub last week. They are what they are, if you wanted a properly fast bike it is not what you'd buy but not everyone is into bikes for the speed.

The rider had the full gear, cut off denim, open face 'German Army' lid etc but I don't think he was an Angel, he looked too healthy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dan.

I have a few choice words for some cyclist one that cut in front on you when pulling out of a junction then they give you the bird so whilst trying to turn they still decide to pull out in the path of a moving car as i'm turning compete disregard for safety no helmet nothing.

This happened Friday evening...
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Martin.

Lots of folk from East Europe around here and they like their pushbikes. They don't go with any of the safety or anything though. Lights at night are obviously considered a needless waste of money, as is any hi viz kit. Quite often see them cycling back from or to their warehouse shifts at night, almost completely invisible.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lots of folk from East Europe around here and they like their pushbikes. They don't go with any of the safety or anything though. Lights at night are obviously considered a needless waste of money, as is any hi viz kit. Quite often see them cycling back from or to their warehouse shifts at night, almost completely invisible.
    Same around here. Often cycling pissed out of their brains on the way home from the pub.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast