+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I isolate my amplifier.

I'm Michael.

Default Should I isolate my amplifier.

How important is it to isolate the amplifier? What are the benefits? I have very little headroom on the rack (1/2") I was thinking SDS isofeet would fit.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Michael
    AT33PTG/II> VPI Scout> Lehman Black Cube Statment> Jolida BR202> Martian Logan Motion 40> My happy ear.

I'm Brian.

Hi Michael , I would certainly give SDS Isofeet a try . You may be pleasantly surprised . Beautiful amp BTW
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Michael.

I have a IsoPlatMat and love it. But What are the benefits of isolating the amplifier?
    Last edited by Meloski; 23-08-2015 at 00:26.
    Michael
    AT33PTG/II> VPI Scout> Lehman Black Cube Statment> Jolida BR202> Martian Logan Motion 40> My happy ear.

I'm Brian.

I found that the Isofeet provide improvements in areas such as clarity and soundstage . Bass is deeper and cleaner and voices in particular seem to have more ' emotion ' . I'm not saying the Isofeet will work with all equipment , however , if they do work with your amp I think you will be very pleasantly surprised . I've just ordered another set for my Rega Brio R . I currently use the first set I purchased under my server and I'm well pleased with the results .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Hugo.

Rather than isolate the amplifier, I would experiment with placing some fat squidgy sorbothane feet under the stone slab, and then use oak or plastic cones to couple the amplifier to the slab, which can then dissipate vibration. In other words, provide somewhere for vibration energy within the amp to go. The sorbothane feet will provide a good degree of general broadband isolation from whatever the slab is sitting on.

I'm Pete.

as all valves are microphonic ..stopping any ground carried vibration reaching your amp will improve the overall sound. buy a cheap stethoscope [medical or engineering types work] and listen to the amp case as you tap the floor , and then the stand. Then add your cones or isoplat stuff and listen again.

I'm Grant.

Special care should be taken with all the cables too keeping them well away from each other will help
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

What are you trying to isolate your amplifier from exactly? What about EMI / RFI ?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jez.

If it's line level then there will be little or no improvement from vibration isolation (depending on gain and how microphonic the valves are). Try gently tapping the valves whilst the amp is at normal listening level and no music is playing to get an idea of microphonics level of your amp. Remember this is applying vastly more shock and vibration than will be experienced by the valves when you are playing music! A plastic toothbrush handle makes a good tapper

As an example of microphonics level, I once was playing the saxophone along to a record that I was taping to cassette (yes it was years ago) using a valve phono stage and valve head amp. The sax could be heard faintly in the background on the recording..... However, remember that this was with a valve head amp and therefore the worst situation re microphonics as could ever happen! We are talking x1000 or so amplification before the line stage here and a very loud indeed live sax about 2 yards from the hifi. The amount of microphonics will of course vary hugely with the type and actual sample of valve used and the circuitry around it.
    Some will tell you it's critical and will even recommend isolation for solid state power amps.... A total waste of effort and money IMHO

As an aside to this, which may be of interest to valve diy'ers, if you ever get ridiculous levels of microphonics from a valve amp then suspect RF oscillation
    If the valve is oscillating, at lets say 30MHz, due to parasitics, then any movement of the valve elements will frequency (and often amplitude) modulate the oscillation which will often end up being demodulated. You won't hear the 30MHz of course but you will certainly hear the RF condenser microphone (google it) you have inadvertently built!

+ Reply to Thread