+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Me A Very High Power Amplifier

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Ok, I get ya

My own KSA 50S is very bland when first powered, but does become acceptable after a couple of hours. I was intimidated by it at first (it's a gift), but now I'm getting the measure of it I'm not so in awe of it now (even gets to old industry pro's like me and I once sold the Ab Sounds portfolio!). The original one could sound 'cloudy' I found, but preamps used domestically in the Top End have come on hugely since then.

I've only ever heard one large Parasound amp and it was very good indeed. I think they were regarded as 'AV' so ignored by the snooty two-channel brigade. Others have spoken highly of other models, so well worth trying to find one

I think the Crown XLS models would be amazing for speakers like passive ATC's and maybe NS1000's, which NEED loads of power to make 'em dance to the music's tune IMO. My mate's Duetta Signatures in the years they worked properly were incredibly 'open' to what they were fed with and if yours are better made than this (and hopefully longer lasting than a mere ten years), then do look out for an early big ML amp. Hifi Dave may be able to advise on models to look out for, as the more bling they acquired, the less exalted they became, even if they became more 'commercial' as a result.

Good luck - and please report your findings, as well as other recommendations..

P.S. Don't laugh, but what about the current big Quad mono's? The 606 onwards were perfectly happy with 4 ohm loads and the basic design has been refined considerably since then I think.
    The Parasound JC1 monos are probably awesome but huge space occupiers. The A21 loved the EAR pre.

Quads? Hm.. looking for something a bit less mainstream. You might be right though could sound OK. Really think a huge current dumper would be more interesting though.

Back on pro amps Behringer A500 was cheap and a bit tiring but really for the money i.e. nothing really pretty amazing. More dynamic than the Crown, less ear friendly in terms of actual listenability.

10 years is about right for a lot of planars before they need attention. Martin Logans are worse than Apogees for that. I know I used them for 17 years!

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Dead cool. 1978 though will probably need attention IF you could find one. Are there really many around Stan?
    They don't need attention. Built with the best components and gold plated PCB. People that bought one of them would have forked out good money. Not many about though. They were built to order.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    My dream power amp is the Harman Kardon Citation XX .
    Anything else just won't hack it. And that includes Krell.
    Oh. I don't know Stan. I'd probably settle for one of these;

Luxman M-05
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    They don't need attention. Built with the best components and gold plated PCB. People that bought one of them would have forked out good money. Not many about though. They were built to order.
    Most interesting suggestion so far.

Something rare and esoteric is always more appealing than the usual suspects.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Oh. I don't know Stan. I'd probably settle for one of these;

Luxman M-05
    Thought about buying one quite seriously for a while. Was one on ebay de for a long time at a stupid high price. I've got an L-435 but it isn't great on the Duettas. A lesser model though.

I'm Justin.

Found 5 expired Citation XX ads using HiFi Shark. Looks like they crop up in Japan but don't sell - prices look too low on the expired auctions.

TheMooN Guest

Sansui BA-5000 or an McIntosh MC-500

I'm Alan.

IMHO there isn't a speaker on the market that a pair of Albarry M1108 Series 2 Mono-blocs can't drive, effortlessly. about 180 Watts into 4 Ohms, but it's how they do it that counts.
    Well worth a listen.

my 2 penneth.

Cheers Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Geoff.

I used to say the same thing about my Legend P300 power amp. Bet not many of you have seen one. Never did find speakers It couldn't handle.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

an integrated but my old MF A1000 could drive most things I would guess, bar monsters. All class A and sounded lovely; kept the house warm too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast