+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Recommend Me A Very High Power Amplifier

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well I guess you never will. I'd like to hear them driving Tom's Tannoys because that's the best pair of Tannoys I have ever heard. They rip.

If yours are as good as Tom's your a lucky chappie.

I think they'd beat the copper amps driving Tannoys or 66s. My hunch, anyway. And by a margin I'd wager. But that's just my opinion.
    Who knows? You could be right. I guess we'll never know.

As for Tom's Tannoys, I fully intend to pop down to his place later in the year, so will look forward to giving them a listen

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Edited my previous post... but yeah go to Tom's. Really important

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ah yes, I stand corrected... That would've been when I had my original GEC KT88s

So many changes (improvements) to the amp since then! However, the core parts of my system (as demonstrated at that show six years ago - how time flies) have remained the same, and I have no desire to change any of them.

That's the satisfaction of owning a well-sorted and settled system!

Marco.
    Shame about the SQ in the video it was a shite camera. That room did sound good, all, whereas the video sounds bad.

Edited my previous post... but yeah go to Tom's. Really important
    Yeah, just read the edit... So you rated the Kingdom Royals?

I didn't, when I heard them at one of the shows (I forget which one). They sounded merely 'ok', which for the money being asked was very disappointing. For me, the addition of an extra driver for the bass spoiled the musical cohesion of a true point source transducer, which Tannoy DCs are renowned for.

Nope, for me, a 'proper' Tannoy DC has one (big) driver doing the whole lot itself! Also, for me, the vintage drive units (with smaller magnets and lighter cones) have a unique sound all of their own, which is faster and with an overall tonality that just sounds more musically convincing, compared with what Tannoy are producing now. Progress? No, sonically, not for me.

What I heard could've been due to a number of factors, of course (the signature of the SS amps powering them perhaps and the dire music being played, amongst other things), and I wouldn't write them off on that one experience, especially at show, but I certainly didn't leave thinking that my Lockies sounded broken in comparison, that's for sure, and neither did a mate who was with me either!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Shame about the SQ in the video it was a shite camera. That room did sound good, all, whereas the video sounds bad.
    Yeah, I enjoyed doing that one - in fact all of us who took part did.

We spent HOURS the night before optimising the set-up of the system, dressing cables, applying the use of digital noise filters, for CD replay, tweaking the T/T set up, so it was spot on, positioning the speakers under Mana, etc, to eliminate the negative effects of the room as much as possible, when others were down at the bar getting pished!

However, all the effort put in was rewarded, as we got rave reviews about that system from just about everyone who heard it, so that was satisfying. Once again the experience simply hammered home the importance of diligent attention to set up [rather than just plonking it all on an 'old sideboard', hooked up with any old shite, and hoping for the best] - and getting every component to work together symbiotically, as a system!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Re Kingdom Royals. First time heard not impressed at Whittlebury. 2nd time heard with Thrax amps and MSB DAC at Whittlebury - seriously impressed.

Well, there you go! It was probably the first one at Whittlebury where I heard the Royals, and yes they were disappointing. Thrax amps? Don't know them. Are they valve-based or SS?

Regardless though, for me there's still a fundamental difference in the sonic and musical presentation of modern and vintage Tannoys - and I don't think that any amplifier(s) would fundamentally alter that inherent 'signature'.

Also, how much are Kingdom Royals? I suspect you could probably buy a small house in North Wales for the price tag!

I just think the pricing of high-end audio equipment now has gone daft.

Marco
    Main System

I'm Justin.

2nd time was Carbon Edition I think £45K odd. Thrax amps are valve amps. Look them up. Very nice indeedy.

It was top notch in that room. Have pics can't be arsed to post.

£45k... Mentalist money for a pair of speakers, and yes I know you can spend MUCH more! I'd love to know how they arrive at these prices - the breakdown of the costings would be interesting to read...

I'll stick with the 'SPPV' route of owing a £4k pair of speakers, which sound like they cost £45k

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334