Thread: Recommend Me A Very High Power Amplifier

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Natural Mystic
    Que? - what / who is that?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Que? - what / who is that?
    Bob M. Ever livin', ever givin', Jah Rasterfari Bob, that is.

Spotify it.

I'm gone.

Ah, it is the BobM I found on t'Spot.
    OK - on my playlist.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, it is the BobM I found on t'Spot.
    OK - on my playlist.
    You need a few beers and the finest Jamaican herb to get Bob's respect from above I'm sure. Never mind, tis great without

I'm Stephen.

The protection is elaborate. So elaborate in triode mode they'd shutdown every time I played Natural Mystic at volume - the intro bit that just gets louder and louder has a bass kick drum that Ayon's engineers obviously decided was too much! Superb track that, though, the Apogees just freakin' love it.
    I cannot remember if a change to the 4 or 8 ohm tap was needed to trip the output?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

They are good amps, Marco, They really are.
    I'll take your word for it, mate, as I haven't heard them. It's just that any piece of hi-fi equipment referred to as "very polite and not particularly dynamic" I tend to steer (widely) clear of

I'd like to hear them driving my Tannoys, which are a completely different load from your 'gees....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    I cannot remember if a change to the 4 or 8 ohm tap was needed to trip the output?
    It happened on both with enough welly. Pentode survived it - always, at any level the speaker could handle.

Which got me into a conversation with Jon. I can't for the life of me understand how my 211 amps drive the Aps as well as they do.

Factual shite: I believe the spec on the Ayon site is still for the previous Orthos iteration i.e. the first one. They just might be under rating them though. Reviews of the II version seem sure 400 Watts is the pentode delivery, with around 250 in triode?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You heard it with KT120s. It's now been fitted with KT150s.

Marco.
    Fact police says otherwise. IMHO it was WAY before you got KT120s.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'll take your word for it, mate, as I haven't heard them. It's just that any piece of hi-fi equipment referred to as "very polite and not particularly dynamic" I tend to steer (widely) clear of

I'd like to hear them driving my Tannoys, which are a completely different load from your 'gees....

Marco.
    Well I guess you never will. I'd like to hear them driving Tom's Tannoys because that's the best pair of Tannoys I have ever heard, apart from Kingdom Royals, which are TBH a lot better than even Tom's.

If yours are as good as Tom's you're a lucky chappie.

I think they'd beat the copper amps driving Tannoys or 66s. My hunch, anyway. And by a margin I'd wager. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by User211; 23-02-2017 at 21:13. Reason: Forgot about Kingdom Royals

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah yes, I stand corrected... That would've been when I had my original GEC KT88s

So many changes (improvements) to the amp since then! However, the core parts of my system (as demonstrated at that show six years ago - how time flies) have remained the same, and I have no desire to change any of them.

That's the satisfaction of owning a well-sorted and settled system!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast