+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TVC

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    LOL aye, but it's still a transformer controlling the volume.
    I said I was nitpicking! It's actually and auto-transformer/autoformer...which does not isolate the way a transformer does.

TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep, only one winding. No isolation between source and amp could be an issue in some systems though.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Richard.

Coincidentally, I have just re-installed my Promitheus TVC (standard version), while I re-box my Stereo Coffee LDR pre, and add a remote control to it. There are differences to the sound, but I couldn't say which is better. The only problem with the TVC is that the attenuator switch clicks when turned. But only when music is playing! It has been suggested that is due to DC being present on the inputs, but I don't know if that's true. Maybe it's just the Chinese 24 way switches, but it would cost over £70 for an Elma switch just to find out! And all those wires!
    ABD.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A cap would block the DC. Does it do it from all sources?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nick.

DC on the input to a TVC would cause problem with saturating the core. Its more likely you need a make before break switch.
    Nick.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    DC on the input to a TVC would cause problem with saturating the core. Its more likely you need a make before break switch.
    I'm pretty sure they are make before break. And I'll check if it's every input.
    ABD.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Now had the chance for a proper listen. This is very good indeed. I thought the Forte was good, but this is better in every respect..

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Holy shite, the bass out of this is phenomenal!

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Had this long enough to get a good handle on it I think, I reckon this is one of the biggest audio bargains out there. This is easily the best pre I've had in my system, a great result given a pair of these autoformers are only 200 dollars. Don't let the low price put you off, performance is stellar. All you need then is a box, selector switch, volume switch, rca's and some wire.

Only caveat - Nick tells me it needs a lowish output impedance from your sources to give of it's best. The inductance can be altered by restacking the lams though, so there is scope for tuning the sound to your system.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123