+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A whole load of new gear!

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Try a good ADC!
    Thanks for the tip, if I'm a bit more flush anytime in the near future I'll check them out - any in particular to watch for or avoid?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

ADC VLM and XLM, preferably mkIII. The 10E IV, 25 and 26 were extremely high compliance and wobble all over in most arms. Tracing of sibilants can be poor too, maybe because of the instability. Now, the ADC 27 stylus fits all three and being later and looking at odd pictures, the suspension looks like the XLM/VLM III (a brown colour) and should be more stable - I don't have spare funds for projects like this when I think about them, but a 26 set up in a Transcriptors Fluid Arm could sing very well.

I don't know the earlier models underneath the 25 and 26, but these were more durable, as well as having solid bodies. Jico styli should be fine for all of them I think (and Jico made some if not all the XLM III and possibly ZLM styli too for ADC).

The VLM didn't have such a low mass diamond, but the extra sparkle it has could sound great with music.

Later on, in the UK, we had the 'Phase' models, from 1 to 4. I have the Phase 4 (IV) and it's the best yet in the bass, although the treble is a touch too smooth on occasion. There was also the Astrion model. Clear plastic surround to body and stylus and a grafted on (a la some of Northwest Analogue re-do's) fancy cantilever and tip. I think I'd love it, but Colloms found it a bit 'scratchy' - back then, a heavy tone was preferred, rather than a livelier one.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

I've used ADCs since the early seventies. the 25, 26 and 27 are certainly too compliant for the average arm.

I've used the 10E Mk.IV in arms that might not be regarded as appropriate without problems. Obviously high really mass arms are out, but I had one working happily in an Acos Lustre arm with lightweight headshell. Not a combination that would normally spring to mind.

Of the XLMs the XLM III is the one I'd have (again). I've owned three if these. Very nice!

I found the VLM pleasant but not as satisfyingly open sounding.

Not tried a ZLM or any of the 'Phase' models.

I still keep a handful of ADCs. They're rather good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andy.

Any further thoughts on the Hegel Hugo?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Any further thoughts on the Hegel Hugo?
    Yes.

The H160 is the amplifier to finally displace my old Lyngdorf TDA-2200. It produces a beautifully balanced, sweet and musically coherent sound (ironically this is very apparent on some of the Grieg piano music that I like to listen to - a bit of Norwegian synergy perhaps?). Vinyl sounds very fine indeed through the H160, so much so that I'm still reeling a bit at what I've been missing.

It's not all great, though. After much listening, I have concluded that it's USB input is workable but ordinary sounding. Not special at all, and no way to hear what this amp is capable of, irrespective of whether using WASAPI, Direct or Kernel Streaming. The bizarre specification of one coaxial digital input and 3 optical is annoying and limiting. The (fairly pants) USB input means that I am still using a Gustard U12 USB/SPDIF converter, so that one coaxial digital input is taken up. The Rega Planet that I bought from Shane is a very decent transport but I have to swap coaxial digital cables over to use it. Hooking the Gustard U12 up to the H160 via Lifatec glass optical cable did not yield a good sound, so coaxial cable swapping remains a fact of life.

Next small criticism (it is a small one) is that the headphone output does not have quite the same fluid, musical feeling as the main loudspeaker outputs. This is odd because Hegel state that the headphone bits hang off the main amplifier. Whatever additional circuitry is involved here, Hegel have managed to subtract a bit of what makes the H160 special as an amplifier. For digital headphone listening, I will be keeping the Naim DAC-V1, which in this role leaves the Hegel for dead. For analogue, which is a secondary source for me nowadays, I'm happy to use the Hegel's headphone output, even though it does not quite have the vibrancy and sheer musical impetus as the NVA AP10H.

I was going to complain about the H160 only having one set of analogue RCA inputs, but a glance at the updated user manual on Hegel's website showed me how to re-assign the Home Theatre input as plain Analogue2. I shall try hooking the Naim DAC-V1 to this analogue input sometime.

So, overall, this is one very special amplifier, but if anyone from Hegel is reading this - please ditch your indifferent
    USB interface and use something like the latest XMOS one instead. Yes, it necessitates separate drivers but that brings ASIO streaming which, to my ears, is by far the best thing in USB audio. And provide an extra coaxial digital input in place of one of the optical ones.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You know it's possible to make the NVA AP10H even better, don't you Might mean extra boxes though...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You know it's possible to make the NVA AP10H even better, don't you Might mean extra boxes though...
    I need fewer boxes!

I'm Andy.

Thanks Hugo.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Hugo.

On further reflection, the Hegel's headphone amp facility is so far behind my NVA AP10H in terms of tonal colour, vibrancy and general musical satisfaction that I will have to keep the NVA. So, the Hegel will displace my old Lyngdorf TDA2200, but the Gustard U12 USB/SPDIF converter, Naim DAC-V1 and the NVA AP10H will be staying put. If only the Hegel's USB input and headphone facility matched it's very lovely main amplifier bits!

The NVA AP10H will be making an appearance on my stand at the National Audio Show, serving vinyl headphone sounds to (hopefully) interested show visitors. Digits can be heard via the Naim DAC-V1. Phones will be either Beyerdynamic T1 or AKG K550.

I'm Hugo.

The V15 Mk4 has arrived from the States with a new HE stylus (but not a Jico). Interestingly, the package has an HMRC label indicating that VAT, duty and the usual £8 handling charge is due, but it was delivered without a bill.

Anyway, it will be going on the PL-71 later, when I have time. I had a chap over yesterday to audition the PL-71 with a view to buying it, and it did rather well. So well that I do wonder if I'm doing the right thing selling it, but I do need to thin out the record player collection. I could very happily live with the PL-71 or the Kenwood KD-990; however the PL-71 is by far the better looking machine.

The Hegel H160 continues to impress. Its headphone section might be improving with use, so it may yet displace the AP10H, but its USB input is still pants. The Hegel and KEF LS50s may well have been made for each other.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast