+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it legal ?

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    All a bit too little too late, the horse bolted years ago with napster and they've been trying to lasso it since. Music industry a dead duck, milking formats and revenues from past glories. New up and coming acts selling direct to fans.
    Bang on.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Would they really come after tapers? Like 30 years too late.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures!

I'm Grant.

I get them with Amazon but rarely listen these days. I imagine with their selling power, it will be in their agreement with the providers. The can of course remove it from use at any time without notice should they wish, as they can with their books( strip it from your amazon reader; as long as they have access via wifi of course). I disagree with this as s far as I'm concerned if I buy the e-book its mine ...... there are ways to prevent the loss(read legalised theft), but I of course would not condone such behaviour
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Another problem is that just because the law is not 'aimed' at home recordists it doesn't mean that it won't ever be used against them (or as a pretext to cause folk issues for other, non-illegal behaviours).
    The RIAA tried that tactic some years ago in an attempt to crack down onP2P sharing and in the end pretty much gave up. As a means of setting an example, they pursued individual users (including the very young) and threatened with all kinds of retribution unless they paid quite extortionate amounts of money in 'out of court' settlements . So extortionate that at the time one US judge described their tactics as 'Mafia-esque' and the media outrage caused them to back off and concentrate on pirate distributers. I doubt whether the tactic will see the light of day again, either there or here.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I get them with Amazon but rarely listen these days. I imagine with their selling power, it will be in their agreement with the providers. The can of course remove it from use at any time without notice should they wish, as they can with their books( strip it from your amazon reader; as long as they have access via wifi of course). I disagree with this as s far as I'm concerned if I buy the e-book its mine ...... there are ways to prevent the loss(read legalised theft), but I of course would not condone such behaviour
    I don't listen to them either, because the moment the cd is delivered I rip it to flac and put it on my pi! (which then plays it as a flac locally or transcodes it on the fly to an mp3 if I want to listen to it remotely)

I've not seen them suggest any limit to what I can do with the mp3 (in that it seems to come with the same personal consumption licence as the cd), and I'm not limited to playing it via their app (so the deleted ebook example doesn't apply), it's just a file and I can move it around devices as I see fit (well I've not been told otherwise) yet apparently what I do with my cds (detailed above without any funny spacing, shit I'm in trouble!) is apparently illegal.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I don't listen to them either, because the moment the cd is delivered I rip it to flac and put it on my pi! (which then plays it as a flac locally or transcodes it on the fly to an mp3 if I want to listen to it remotely)

I've not seen them suggest any limit to what I can do with the mp3 (in that it seems to come with the same personal consumption licence as the cd), and I'm not limited to playing it via their app (so the deleted ebook example doesn't apply), it's just a file and I can move it around devices as I see fit (well I've not been told otherwise) yet apparently what I do with my cds (detailed above without any funny spacing, shit I'm in trouble!) is apparently illegal.
    Yes at moment but it may change. The books have adrm which ties you to amazon's readers.....sort of Nook and kobo I think do the same,.. some are epub but have drm
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123