+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Box of Ks..How do you organise your physical media.

I'm joe.

'Superstition' Stevie Wonder. Lovely stuff.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Can't think off the top of my head of any artists with names beginning with 'Z' that would be of interest to you?

The only 'O's in my collection are Phil Ochs, Mike Oldfield, Hazle O'Connor and Ornette Coleman (yes I know it should be filed under 'C', but it's not - that's the way my mind works).

Glad to hear you're on the mend - just as I was going to give you my patented fail-proof receipe for a hot toddy. Oh well, just drink the whisky anyway!

Best Wishes
    Thanks Barry,
    That Quarter Cask Laphraoig has been around for far too long anyway - it's probably gone off, but for the sake of tidyness.......I suppose I'll clear it up!

http://www.laphroaig.com/qc/

It's always been a big dilemma to me where to file people like Taj Mahal, Lightnin' Slim (& Hopkins) etc...........
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 22-09-2009 at 19:05.

I'm Dan.

and where do people file the number bands, like 10cc, 999, 36 Crazyfists, do you spell the number? file before A? after Z?

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJennings View Post
    and where do people file the number bands, like 10cc, 999, 36 Crazyfists, do you spell the number? file before A? after Z?
    I spell the number, but really they should go before A

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJennings View Post
    Don't think I have anything by performers with numerical names, but if I did I would file them alphabetically.

Even worse is stuff I've picked up on my travels from places that do not use the Latin alphabet, such as Cryllic, Farsi or Chinese. Actually it's not a problem as in my 'World' section, the material is filed according to continent, running eastwards from 0 degree longitude! My mind works in strange ways.

Regards
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

Don't think I have anything by performers with numerical names, but if I did I would file them alphabetically.

Even worse is stuff I've picked up on my travels from places that do not use the Latin alphabet, such as Cryllic, Farsi or Chinese. Actually it's not a problem as in my 'World' section, the material is filed according to continent, running eastwards from 0 degree longitude! My mind works in strange ways.

Regards
    That's not a problem I've ever had to tackle.
    I used to have my Blues & Classical subsets, but got rid of the blues one as it grew & the line between it & other types of music became thicker & fuzzier!

Now, I keep my classical/orchestral records seperate but not the CD's (?)

I also try to keep things chronological within bands where possible, with compilations at the end.

Oh! And Various Artists are after 'Z'!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post

Well, yes. Anything else would be Just Plain Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    That's not a problem I've ever had to tackle.
    I used to have my Blues & Classical subsets, but got rid of the blues one as it grew & the line between it & other types of music became thicker & fuzzier!

Now, I keep my classical/orchestral records seperate but not the CD's (?)

I also try to keep things chronological within bands where possible, with compilations at the end.

Blues are separate from Classical regardless of medium and my filing follows in a similar fashion to yours: chronological within artist(e) and with collections/compilations at the end.

'Various Artists' and other odds and sods (a few 12" singles) are also relegated to the outskirts after 'Z'. No doubt in your collection that means a separate room!

One difficulty I have is with the heading 'Folk'. My LPs are filed under this separate catagory but not the CDs. A friend of mine who has an equally large and varied collection does not bother to descriminate: Folk is filed alphabetically in with the Pop and Rock (including Tangerine Dream and Terry Riley). I think I might have to rethink my act here.

Another anomaly is with 10" LPs; they get 'lost' if filed with the 12" LPs. I don't have many, so they are kept together and filed separately.

Blues artists with unusual given names are filed as such: Lightning Hopkins under 'L'; Mississippi John Hurt under 'M'; Blind Boy (anybody) under 'B' etc. Not foolproof but I can usually find what I want.

Perhaps someone might like to write about a logical filing system for the 'Library'. Any takers?
    Barry

I'm joe.

Perhaps someone might like to write about a logical filing system for the 'Library'. Any takers?
    Mheh, not me. I strew the music about the place and grab what's nearest.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Mheh, not me. I strew the music about the place and grab what's nearest.
    Ah so you follow the stochastic school of record filing?

I used to get into that rut by having a pile of recently played records that I hadn't returned. Trouble was, out of lazyness I would simply rumage through them and play them again. After becoming bored hearing the same twenty or so records again and again, I would be forced to put them back and listen to something from the rest of my collection. Quite often that was an education - 'I'd forgotten I had this', that sort of thing. I've grown out of it now.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast