+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: m2tech young dac observations

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I bought some caps and performed the mod on my M2Tech Evo DAC (the Young's smaller sibling).
    The effort was worth it.
    I'm quite taken back at the improvement in resolution.

Thanks for the heads up
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Pete.

I've been running my Young DAC with the new cap for just over a week now and the improvement in soundstage is very good indeed. However, I've not only had to add a Van der Graaf PSU, I've also added a full set of Brian's Klotz cables, so the improvement might be the sum total of all three links in the chain... but whatever it is, I'm throughly enjoying the results
    CDP: Primare CD31 Amp: Audio Note Oto SE DAC: M2Tech Young & Van Der Graaf PSU Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots
    Streaming: bespoke Korus server with SOtM soundcard, AudioQuest Jitterbug & Furutech GT2 USB cable
    Speaker Cable: Tellurium Q Black - Interconnects: MS Audio/Klotz MC5000

Come Chill With Me...
    https://www.mixcloud.com/orbscure
    http://theorbscureddj.blogspot.co.uk
    + play + enjoy + float + dream +

Over the intervening time since my last post in this thread my DAC's sound has changed subtly, tonally shifting emphasis and gradually returning to a tonal balance I'm familiar with.
    And all I've done is changed a power input reservoir capacitor.
    The resolution has improved, and with it comes greater musical involvement.
    Bit parts of the mix have greater significance than before, yet they are not exaggerated and demanding attention.

All I've done is to replace a power input reservoir capacitor, so the headf**k factor is quite large, as there's no change to the signal path.

I don't know what's going on, but I really like what I hear, and on that alone I recommend this upgrade.

Cheers Gaz, and thanks for the heads up
    Chris

I'm Mario.

I am currently in the process of upgrading my oppo 95 dac to a young dsd and palmer psu as I find the treble on the sabre dacs artificial allmost like a DSP effect on the sound ? Would there be a significant improvment in resolution and musicality ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Over the intervening time since my last post in this thread my DAC's sound has changed subtly, tonally shifting emphasis and gradually returning to a tonal balance I'm familiar with.
    And all I've done is changed a power input reservoir capacitor.
    The resolution has improved, and with it comes greater musical involvement.
    Bit parts of the mix have greater significance than before, yet they are not exaggerated and demanding attention.

All I've done is to replace a power input reservoir capacitor, so the headf**k factor is quite large, as there's no change to the signal path.

I don't know what's going on, but I really like what I hear, and on that alone I recommend this upgrade.

Cheers Gaz, and thanks for the heads up
    I'm tempted to do the cap mod but may have pay someone to do it as I don't want to screw it up

I'm Gary.

Never got on with the Sabre Dacs, heard a few n my system over a large price range and the Young always shone as being the most musical and, well, effortless.
    It just plays music and gets out the way in a non hifi way.

I'd say it would be a noticeable upgrade, especially with the cap mod and linear psu.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by haujobbz View Post
    I am currently in the process of upgrading my oppo 95 dac to a young dsd and palmer psu as I find the treble on the sabre dacs artificial allmost like a DSP effect on the sound ? Would there be a significant improvment in resolution and musicality ? Thanks

I'm tempted to do the cap mod but may have pay someone to do it as I don't want to screw it up
    I'd just leave the DAC as standard and enjoy it as it is for the time being.
    The mod would always be there for later.
    What Gaz says about a decent linear PSU is a given - you need to have one. The Palmer may be better still.
    Chris

I'm Alan.

I have also been running the M2Tech young Dac for the last couple of years and I must say its superb.
    Shortly after getting the dac I carried out the internal cap mod that SQ did and found the same improvement.
    I realised that the walwart was holding back the full potential of the DAC so I built my own power supply using an Avondale TPR2 reg, this took it to a whole new level and I havn't though about changing it since, See pic below.
    I do also own a Saber Dac and there is not much in it but the Young is more musicaly entertaining IMHO.

Young Dac power supply by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Simon.

Nice little psu there. I do think the Young offers remarkable value as a second hand buy these days.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Soren.

I have been using the Squeeze Upgrade PS for quite a long time, with quite good results. It took care of the dirty highs completely, and is warmer and more "musical", than the supplied switchmode type.

But still a bit unsatisfied with a slightly slow and soft bass, and a lack of air, i decided to try the cap mod. I decided for a Nichicon KA audio grade type, which is a drop in replacement for the original. Same size and specs. Nichicon ranks it at the same level as their "Fine Gold" types, which is ranked just below their top of the line Muse type.
    And it did the trick. Bass is now tight and punchy, and a huge improvement overall. Highly recommended.
    Amp: Pass Labs INT30a. Digital: Yamaha CD-S1000, Streaming: Chromecast Audio, M2Tech Young. Analog: Rega RP3/Elys 2. Speakers: Dynaudio Excite X32 and JBL Studio 290. Cables: VDH First Ultimate, VDH First Metalscreen and Xindak FS-0.5.

I'm Tristan.

I got the mod done to the capacitor of my Young dac a few months ago. Pete kindly gave me one of his spare capacitors. The sound does seem to be a lot smoother now. I don't find any treble harshness now. I would describe the sound as being very open. A worthwhile upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123