+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumble

I'm Rob.

Default Rumble

I have just got my SME M2-9 up and running on the Gyrodec but I am getting some odd rumble issues with lots of LF going to the speakers.
    I guess I need a Phonostage with a Subsonic filter/Rumble filter, unless there is something I am missing on the setup...

Its a Michell Gyrodec SE (standard PSU), SME M2-9 with Ortofon 2M Blue (at 1.8g VTF). The phonostage is a Trichord Dino Mk1 with standard PSU.

I never seemed to have any issue with the same TT, Cart but with a Rega RB300.

I get the issue when the cart is on the outside edge of the LP, on the run in and most of the recorded tracks, it does not seem to be as noticeable on the run out at the end of the LP.
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Geoff.

Sounds like the cartridge compliance is a little high for the arm and warps/ripples in the vinyl are being reproduced. A lower compliance cartridge may raise the resonance enough to avoid the effect. I don't like subsonic filters. They seem to impact on the sound to me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

The SME M2-9 has an effective mass of 9.5g and suitable for cartridges from 5g-12g, the Ortofon 2M Blue is 7.2g and 20 µm/mN. That gives me a resonance of 8.7Hz, a bit low I guess on the following calculator:

http://www.resfreq.com/resonancecalculator.html

I was looking at the Ortofon Quintet Blue or Bronze, which gives me a ~9.5Hz resonance, a bit better. The Benz Micro Silver/Gold too.
    Last edited by hoopsontoast; 10-08-2015 at 09:27.
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Richard.

I'd be really surprised if resonance of 8.7Hz was the problem. And therefore, more importantly, real surprised if taking the resonance up to 9.5Hz fixed it. 20cu is fairly normal "high" compliance, and 9.5g pretty "medium" effective mass. My money is on some other issue. Low frequency record noise is just there - I've never heard a silent record.

Maybe the new arm is just more revealing of low level detail. Record warps are in the 5Hz region or below. You can't hear those. I can't hear those. I'm not sure if whales can hear that lower frequency. (I'm assuming you are hearing it, not just watching it). If you are hearing it, its comfortably above 20Hz - which would suggest too little compliance, insufficient mass. If the mass is too high and the compliance too low it normally manifests as tracking problems - footfall or record warp.

I'm Rob.

I can't hear it but I can see it on the bass drivers. When playing music the bass is quite indistinct, I put that down to the bass drivers trying to reproduce other much lower notes.....

I'm Geoff.

Have you got a lower compliance cartridge you could try?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

No I don't, I did have an Ortofon MC10 Supreme but I broke the cantilever off it, I've kept it as I can still use it as trade in against the current Ortofon MC range (hence interest in the Quintet range).

I'm Richard.

As I understand it, you didn't have the same problem with the RB300 with an 11.5g effective mass and a calculated resonance with the same cartridge of 8.3Hz

There is an elephant in the room. It's not likely to be a mechanical resonance issue.

I have used a Goldring 1022 in the FXR without issue and that has got to be in the same ball-park.

I'm Rob.

Correct, I did not notice anything with the RB300 (in the past year or so of use).

I'm scott.

add mass to the headshell or same price as the blue change to a quintet red lower Cu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast