+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all digital cable experts - SPDIF termination question

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I'd suggest that although we all use them, any phono plug is inferior to almost any connection you can make short of a quick twist of two wires & a bit of insulating tape!

You can put all the locking devices, exotic metallurgy, solder & crimping you like into them, but you're just polishing the turd of a fundamentally bad design.
    Excellently put!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Question

What is wrong with them?

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'd suggest that although we all use them, any phono plug is inferior to almost any connection you can make short of a quick twist of two wires & a bit of insulating tape!
    Indeed

If only we could hard-wire our whole hi-fi system from start to finish!

Marco.

P.S Banana plugs on speaker cables are just as bad, but of course practicality and convenience naturally win the day.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    What is wrong with them?

Dave
    Erm... they're shite!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Sorry Dave,

That was a bit, err, blunt!

Now, not for a minute am I calling your technical expertise into question, but... I'm a little bit surprised by the question, I thought you were a bit cleverer than that! .

Let's start with the simple things, first of, physically it 'makes' signal before screen, and breaks screen before signal.

Not great!

Next?
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    That only really applies / seems to work if using phono's. With 75R BNC and a good RG6 cable you can choose what length you want...within reason.
    I didn't know that!
    But then again, there are many things i don't know.
    I have to admit that i can't hear any difference between one metre BNC leads and any other short length.
    I was just playing safe.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    The answer to your second question may not be so firm, I'm sure STan or Dave can shed some insight here but without being able to see what the effect would be of a direct cable to PCB track solder connection via a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) I think the result would be very hit or miss.
    I've never used a TDR with sufficient resolution that could differentiate a few mm of pcb track!... got any pointers?

I use these things very regularly. Admittedly, mostly OTDR's... but I'd still be interested.

Cheers...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I thought you were a bit cleverer than that! What, because I asked a question!!!!!!

physically it 'makes' signal before screen, and breaks screen before signal. No, I'm not being funny here, I don't see that as a technical issue? But I am interested in why people think they are a problem?

On all the digital stuff I have here, the manufacturers fitted BNC's as standard on the digital bits and XLR's for balanced audio.

Regards

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Surely the most obvious explanation why any form of connector is poorer than hard-wiring is because every time you introduce another interface into the chain the signal is broken? In connections where electricity is being passed, this raises resistance - always a no-no; hence why hard-wiring is often the preferred route.

Or are we discussing something else?

There's a very good reason (as mentioned) why people hard-wire circuits in valve amps, as opposed to using PCBs, and also for example why I've hard-wired mains leads directly into the MCBs of the dedicated consumer unit powering my hi-fi system

IECs, phonos, BNCs, DINs, XLRs, bananas, 13A plugs, fuses, - they're all 'shit', some more so than others. But it's unfortunately "shit" most of us have to put up with.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    I thought you were a bit cleverer than that! What, because I asked a question!!!!!!

physically it 'makes' signal before screen, and breaks screen before signal. No, I'm not being funny here, I don't see that as a technical issue? But I am interested in why people think they are a problem?

On all the digital stuff I have here, the manufacturers fitted BNC's as standard on the digital bits and XLR's for balanced audio.

Regards

Dave
    Perhaps the 'manufacturer' also thinks phonos are shite then?

They were designed back in the 40's, mainly to be cheap I reckon. Though, as usual, the audio industry has found ways and means to make them expensive!

They're just poor, and well past their 'best before date'.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast