+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homophobia in the UK audiophile industry

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck View Post
    Oh dear - are you upset about something?

From my perspective, anyone can make any comment about this topic or indeed any other. Adding observations might broaden the debate, in which case this is in my view most welcome.

As for me in terms of comments re this topic I have nothing worthwhile to add to the story as posted on HFA that I can think of right now. That said, if you are inviting me to comment then I'll do my best to respond in an objective manner if you think I might have something of further relevance to contribute. Thanks. Regards. Howard.
    Surprising reaction.

I'm Andrew.

I hadn't even considered it until I saw this thread. Why would I? This is a music and kit forum as I understand it.
    Should this thread be in "abstract"?

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    I hadn't even considered it until I saw this thread. Why would I? This is a music and kit forum as I understand it.
    Should this thread be in "abstract"?
    I think you might be correct. Let's see what the moderators think.

I'm Geoff.

Oh dear - are you upset about something?
    Not sure why you said that Howard .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not sure why you said that Howard .
    My male menopause I guess. It's such a trial!

I'm Geoff.

My male menopause I guess. It's such a trial!
    Yes. You're probably just a grumpy old sod like me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

My motivation was, as you'll see from the opening sentence in the post on HFA, that I was asked the question: "Howard I heard this rumour that you observed homophobia in the industry in the 1980s?".

I agree your sentiments re AOS; this being he only forum I am registered with. That said, yes I have seen what I perceive as homophobic comments on at least one non-UK forum and although posted, were quickly removed.
    Yes, I believe some are openly homophobic. That said, one of any persuasion can find evidence of prejudice against them if they look for it.

Why now though; I was asked the question "Howard I heard this rumour that you observed homophobia in the industry in the 1980s?" and a honest reply seemed appropriate.

Well you got my attention for the first and last time. I shall not read hifianswers again.

The nebulous "someone asked me" really riled - a typical journalistic fabrication could be a mere invention why not indicate who did this supposed asking?

You have the right to post here as a trade member. Just like all trade members should you not be posting this publicity for your web site (your product) in the trade area allotted to you?

I am a stubborn person when presumed upon as this attempt to promote your web site purports to be a friendly human (none trader) chat.

I'm Grant.

Dont really see the relevance of the thread tbh but i will move it to abstract for now.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

Undoubtedly homophobia was a problem in the trade itself back than. I referred to that in my Happy Anniversary thread. But much less now. Within forums its divided. PFM is positively PINK. In others it is easy to detect some traces, but I don't think its a major issue - and certainly not endorsed or tolerated by any forum officially. I have seen some rants - but usually in the sort of places you'd expect to see such things - hardly a mainstream forum - just a bunch of malcontents

I'm joe.

AoS seems to have more than its fair share of cross-dressers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast