+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homophobia in the UK audiophile industry

I'm Howard.

Default Homophobia in the UK audiophile industry

Well, hello.

I'm Geoff.

That was all rather a while ago Howard. What prompted you to post this, have you seen a recent instance of something similar?

Certainly I think AOS is a place where all are welcome and no bias is shown against differing 'types' of people.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That was all rather a while ago Howard. What prompted you to post this, have you seen a recent instance of something similar?

Certainly I think AOS is a place where all are welcome and no bias is shown against differing 'types' of people.
    Not all forums are as open minded as this one Geoff. There are some who are openly homophobic. However, it would be interesting to know what prompted Howard to raise this now.

I'm Howard.

My motivation was, as you'll see from the opening sentence in the post on HFA, that I was asked the question: "Howard I heard this rumour that you observed homophobia in the industry in the 1980s?".

I agree your sentiments re AOS; this being he only forum I am registered with. That said, yes I have seen what I perceive as homophobic comments on at least one non-UK forum and although posted, were quickly removed.
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Not all forums are as open minded as this one Geoff. There are some who are openly homophobic. However, it would be interesting to know what prompted Howard to raise this now.
    Yes, I believe some are openly homophobic. That said, one of any persuasion can find evidence of prejudice against them if they look for it.

Why now though; I was asked the question "Howard I heard this rumour that you observed homophobia in the industry in the 1980s?" and a honest reply seemed appropriate.

I'm Rich.

There is a certain demographic which goes with our hobby so I'd expect some views to be more prevalent amongst that group. These are as unrepresentative of society at large as our own demographic.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Geoff.

I can't speak for other forums, as I only look at others occasionally. No doubt every area of life has a minority who will be prejudiced against others seen as being different, for whatever reason. Maybe race, religion, sexual orientation and so forth. Most people have a balanced outlook in my view and just get on with their lives without letting such notions get in the way of their interacting with others.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Howard.

I can't speak for other forums, as I only look at others occasionally. No doubt every area of life has a minority who will be prejudiced against others seen as being different, for whatever reason. Maybe race, region, sexual orientation and so forth. Most people have a balanced outlook in my view and just get on with their lives without letting such notions get in the way of interacting with others.
    Quite so. However ... what shocked me then and in recollection still does is that one maker (or perhaps one employee of that maker) should express, if not evangelise an opinion about a competitor expressed exclusively in sexual terms.

This thread, merely a link and without comment was not intended as a catalyst for a discussion of prejudices in the vast world outside our tiny audiophile one.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck View Post
    This thread, merely a link and without comment was not intended as a catalyst for a discussion of prejudices in the vast world outside our tiny audiophile one.
    Well it caused me to make just such observations and no doubt others may feel the need to add something.

I'm Howard.

Well it caused me to make just such observations and no doubt others may feel the need to add something.
    Oh dear - are you upset about something?

From my perspective, anyone can make any comment about this topic or indeed any other. Adding observations might broaden the debate, in which case this is in my view most welcome.

As for me in terms of comments re this topic I have nothing worthwhile to add to the story as posted on HFA that I can think of right now. That said, if you are inviting me to comment then I'll do my best to respond in both a polite and objective manner if you think I might have something of further relevance to contribute. Thanks. Regards. Howard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast