+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Michell's had a makeover...

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    YANNIS ?
    Not yet, cable change and internal rewire on the list though.
    The Bat-Table is almost ready...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

How's the new arm getting on Gary?
    Last edited by struth; 29-07-2016 at 22:00.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Its a major step change from the Tecnoarm Grant, just....better.

Taking the deck into Jonny tommorow to give it a pro level fettle at Loud n Clear in Glasgow (his Saturday gig) and the deck will be.....

....ALMOST done.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Great stuff...
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Oliver.

Your deck looks gorgeous , I've got the SE in silver with a black arm (OL Encounter 3C) and after seeing yours I wanna black one too ..............

I'm Gary.

Thanks Oliver,
    Yeah, have a bit of a thing for black kit me....

Quote Originally Posted by OD1 View Post
    Your deck looks gorgeous , I've got the SE in silver with a black arm (OL Encounter 3C) and after seeing yours I wanna black one too ..............
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Speaking of black...the deck's now lost the bling and had a few other tweaks.
    Much happier with both looks and sound now.
    meet the Bat-Table.

Had an Orbe platter before when I had the Technoarm but the deck sounded a bit dead and shut in on some albums, and the Gyro platter gave a bit of extra sparkle which gave those albums a sense of life about them and I preferred the sound.
    So sold the Orbe platter and kept the Gyro one.

With the SME V in play the sound of the deck changed dramatically over the Technoarm I had in before. So had a rethink about the platter....
    Can now hear the improvement the Orbe platter brings, particularly in the bass which with the V is "rifle bolt" tight and goes really deep. Really deep.
    Had J7 set the deck up for me too, so everythings set up as it should be.
    Sounds great, really really happy.

Arm rewire in the future, POSSIBLY a cart upgrade if funds are there and I'll call vinyl done.

With the Orbe Platter kit, you get a pack of "Densodamp", which is the anti resonance compound to be stuck under the decks chassis to eliminate ringing.
    Think ultra sticky blutak.

As my deck already had the compound fitted I took the opportunity to use it to apply other tweaks elsewhere.
    I stripped the decks motor (really easy) and applied it to the inside of the motors housing and base, which is in two parts, aluminum tube and heavy solid base.
    Damped the inside of the tube and the interface where the two parts meet to make the motor housing noticeably heavier and completely dead.
    I also lined the clamp with a layer of the damping compound which again, made it completely inert vibration wise.
    My thinking was it couldn't hurt and as the theory was sound I thought it might even be a good tweak?

The platter was fitted around a week so was familiar with the improved sound I had over the Gyro platter, so sat down to listen once the damping compound was applied.

Another boost in sound quality, greater sense of space and physicality of instruments in space.
    Overall impression was of more control, but a more free-flowing higher resolution sound which motored along nicely, timing and interplay between the band being noticeably more obvious.
    Soundstage was already beyond and behind the speakers, but the damping brought more 3D to the table and a greater sense of the room acoustic of the recording.

Listening to Allman Brothers at Filmmore was a real hairs on the back of the neck type of listen, loved it.
    Just sounded...live and in the room.
    Not hifi, but guys in a band in a room playing off each other...boogied like a bugger.

Happy days, decks almost done now but the important thing is its a big step up from the Gyro platter even with the SME in play.
    Reckon I'm hearing more of what the arm is capable of now.

Last edited by Gazjam; 10-08-2016 at 09:18.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Looks very smart Gaz. .. bar the hairy stump
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

My best feature!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Alan.

Nice one Gaz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast