+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Michell's had a makeover...

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Aye. Ourcown mrcstewart has some nice ones too on sale... I fancy one but itcaint gonna happen. They look and sound great. Even my lowly Akai looks cool. Must see about getting itvfettled or sold tbh. Works good but could be better... Wonder if Ali is any good with them?
    Sure Ali woukd take a look Grant.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Fantastico! Looking good. A match made in heaven, no doubt

Don't 'instantly dismiss' the standard wiring, as I believe that SME have recently made some improvements in that area, and only upgrade if you're totally convinced it's worthwhile doing so. At the very least, I'd be enjoying the T/T, with the arm 'as is', for a while, until you get a proper handle on how things are sounding.

Optimised or not, mate, I bet you can't resist staying up late and listening to some choons... Been there, done that!

Marco.
    Spot on Marco.

A lot of utter rot is talked on forums about the standard wiring. The only thing it usually lacks is decent phono plugs but that's an easy fix for those impatient for a little more bling or better quality plugs. That aside, the wiring is purpose designed for the job, lowish capacitance, well screened and importantly, thin, light and flexible which is a MUST for not upsetting the Gyro's balance on its bouncy suspension. I make and sell a lot of cables and whilst my whole system is decked out with RFC Mercury and Pluto cabling, the only part that isn't is the cabling from my Gyro's SME arm. All I've done is to add better plugs. You simply wont achieve any sonic upgrades which can be attributable to cabling here. If you could, I would have done it years ago (and I have tried various options).

Cracking combo, the Gyro coupled with just about any of SME's tonearms and all British manufacture!

I'm Andr'e.

End of the day Gaz, do not worry what it sounds like, it looks good that is all that matters in this hobby innit?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    End of the day Gaz, do not worry what it sounds like it looks good that is all that matters in this hobby innit?

Couldn't possibly comment!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

What's thour thoughts on the internal wiring Paul?
    Is it a V you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Spot on Marco.

A lot of utter rot is talked on forums about the standard wiring. The only thing it usually lacks is decent phono plugs but that's an easy fix for those impatient for a little more bling or better quality plugs. That aside, the wiring is purpose designed for the job, lowish capacitance, well screened and importantly, thin, light and flexible which is a MUST for not upsetting the Gyro's balance on its bouncy suspension. I make and sell a lot of cables and whilst my whole system is decked out with RFC Mercury and Pluto cabling, the only part that isn't is the cabling from my Gyro's SME arm. All I've done is to add better plugs. You simply wont achieve any sonic upgrades which can be attributable to cabling here. If you could, I would have done it years ago (and I have tried various options).

Cracking combo, the Gyro coupled with just about any of SME's tonearms and all British manufacture!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Andr'e.

o go on

I'm Grant.

Now now behave.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andr'e.

Sup grant you dont wanna hear the truth about audio enthusiasts?

I'm Deleted.

There does seem to be a fashion for arm cables that are just re-terminated interconnects; often this means they are both rather thick and rather too stiff - neither are desirable traits for suspended turntables as the cable will effectively bypass the suspension and possibly make it very difficult (if not impossible) to set up properly.
    Account Deleted

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    Sup grant you dont wanna hear the truth about audio enthusiasts?

Dinnae be silly Andr'e.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast