+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My uncomfortable audio and music self-awareness

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    To be fair, those questions were asked and answered.
    Fair enough Joe, it was a general observation and not specific to your situation.

Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Which is why we all have the same systems.

Seriously though, I asked about possible new speakers on A.N.Other forum. Not only did I get multiple different recommendations (which is to be expected) but some people's favourites were others' betes noires.
    If we all had the same room and the same amount of money to spend we might well all end up with the same system, given enough time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If we all had the same room and the same amount of money to spend we might well all end up with the same system, given enough time.
    And we've have typed out the entire works of Shakespeare an all.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    +1

Did you see that recent(ish) BBC series titled something like "Britain's Best Artist" or similar? The two 'experts' had that overwhelming sense of superiority that you mention, but both were very much traditional figurative artists, who sneered at the youngest contestant who produced (in my view) some outstanding and heartfelt stuff - she tried to take on board what they wanted and it all went to pieces. I would not give either experts' paintings any room on my walls, since I broadly dislike figurative art; however that does not mean that I don't appreciate Constable's skill in painting his works - I just don't feel moved by the end result. Someone who likes Constable would similarly probably not feel moved by my Barbara Hepworth and other 20th Century abstract pieces cluttering up my house.

So, as you say, it's largely a matter of taste, but "taste" is complicated by how our brains are wired up, and that's where individual perception comes in, whether we are talking about visual art or music.
    +1

I didn't see that, no.

But remember, TV is TV... it's made for an existing audience and positioned to what people would like to see. That's what I believe is part of the problem for today's society. TV is overtaking reality, mostly everything (especially talent shows) are simply a 'cooky cut', a facsimile of the last 'hit' show. They all drive on the same aspects to make the show interesting to the 'already conditioned' fans of that format. Sounds cynical to some, but it's true.

False hopes and false reality for social climbing non entities. Any artistic talent comes in at a poor second place to celebrity.

In my opinion a true (respected) artist will have the decency of giving an appreciated nod at another artist even though they have a massive void in personal and artistic differences.

I don't watch talent shows, or bake-off's... two of the most linear and unoriginal formats on TV. It's money for olde rope.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think 'taste in music' is a rather fundamental factor to add to that and one that IMO influences greatly peoples opinions on what sounds good to them and what doesn't.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    +1

I didn't see that, no.

But remember, TV is TV... it's made for an existing audience and positioned to what people would like to see. That's what I believe is part of the problem for today's society. TV is overtaking reality, mostly everything (especially talent shows) are simply a 'cooky cut', a facsimile of the last 'hit' show. They all drive on the same aspects to make the show interesting to the 'already conditioned' fans of that format. Sounds cynical to some, but it's true.

False hopes and false reality for social climbing non entities. Any artistic talent comes in at a poor second place to celebrity.

In my opinion a true (respected) artist will have the decency of giving an appreciated nod at another artist even though they have a massive void in personal and artistic differences.

I don't watch talent shows, or bake-off's... two of the most linear and unoriginal formats on TV. It's money for olde rope.
    I mostly agree but Sky Arts Guitar Star and to an extent The Voice have managed to present genuine talent and in a non 'freak show' way.

Regards Neil

I'm Doug.

I see this over and over again in some other forums. The thing that really bothers me is when it descends to the level of personal attacks. ("all amps sound the same and if you don't hear that, you're both stupid and deluded!" I mentioned recently to a local audio buff that my DAC was not a good match with my new amp, and he said something on the level of "Oh, you're just listening for the wrong things."

On the other hand, I recently asked for a recommendation on AoS, and one member made a general statement that has led me to do hours of research. So there are counter-examples to the "true audio believers" who think that their way is the only way.
    "...one door shuts and then another closes"

- Ian Dury

I'm Nodrog.

+1

I didn't see that, no.

Ye gods, it makes me glad I don't have a TV. But then, that too is used by some to cock a snoop at my intellectual snobbery. I think it asks quite a lot of people to suspend what are no doubt honestly held beliefs in order to avoid upsetting other people. However, if we wish to live in a society rather than in splendid isolation, a bit of give and take seems in order.

My aversion to the C Rap was formed when it first hit the market. Two young men who played nothing but at volume 11 all day every day did tend to affect my feeling towards their muzac!! oops!

Most of our likes and dislikes are formed during that magic period when everything seems alive, vivid and meaningful - for most between 18 and 35 but probably getting younger now. What ever is mainstream at that time tends - not always of course - to be what we carry forward. For some it might just be who we mix with. That means there is always going to be differences of opinion. Twas ever thus. You should have heard what my mum said about Lonnie Donegan.

My comment about the Jam may well be how I would feel - if I had ever heard any of their music.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I mostly agree but Sky Arts Guitar Star and to an extent The Voice have managed to present genuine talent and in a non 'freak show' way.

Regards Neil

Not seen the Sky one as I've not got Sky... So I can't comment on that.

I have to disagree on The Voice. The point to these shows is ratings and these formats use the dirtiest trick in the book, embarrassment and televising the crushing of self respect (+confidence) of it's contestants because the only reason why the contestants are their in the first place is because they want to live a celebrity life more than anything in the world.

The Voice is different in it's initial style I agree. And this is why it (I believe) wasn't a huge hit at first because the public were conditioned to a much more original glitzy and rather typical cover image, but the principle idea is still the same and no different in that respect from The X-Factor etc. Using people as pawns for ratings. A Simon Cowarse spesh.

Now here is the twist that cooks my beef... who is to blame for this? Is it the networks? The program makers? The production companies? Or the public? Or all of the above? No smoke without fire etc...
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

Not seen the Sky one as I've not got Sky... So I can't comment on that.

I have to disagree on The Voice. The point to these shows is ratings and these formats use the dirtiest trick in the book, embarrassment and televising the crushing of self respect (+confidence) of it's contestants because the only reason why the contestants are their in the first place is because they want to live a celebrity life more than anything in the world.

The Voice is different in it's initial style I agree. And this is why it (I believe) wasn't a huge hit at first because the public were conditioned to a much more original glitzy and rather typical cover image, but the principle idea is still the same and no different in that respect from The X-Factor etc. Using people as pawns for ratings. A Simon Cowarse spesh.

Now here is the twist that cooks my beef... who is to blame for this? Is it the networks? The program makers? The production companies? Or the public? Or all of the above? No smoke without fire etc...
    Human nature is something that shouldnt just be pandered to. Tv magazines internet etc should be trying to entertain but at same time educate and not be there to let folk gloat at others discomfort etc. this fools many to believe that it is more real than reality.
    It is in our nature to ogle at these things. Once the most popular show was an execution...great day out...
    People should try to not watch such shows...they will rapidly then depart.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast