+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: K-Billy’s Super Sounds of the 70’s.

I'm Gary.

Currently rewiring my balanced mains setup and I thought I'd had a hard day...until I saw that!

genuinely laughed out loud when I saw that!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm jamie.

hi darren,
    sorry i missed your post as well lol,
    im having the dittons picked up by courier,for £45 its a no brainer. i hope to have them this coming week
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    nice setup m8

And these sockets reminds me a job I was doing at work about 7-8 years ago
    I was fitting few 2 gangs in security room for radio charging station. Just a few
    Thanks Richard Those sockets are insane!

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    hi darren,
    sorry i missed your post as well lol,
    im having the dittons picked up by courier,for £45 its a no brainer. i hope to have them this coming week
    £45 not bad at all, I hope they have a safe journey. I imagine you're looking forward to receiving them, a pity you don't still have your 44's for comparison.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Darren.

Default Stuck In The Middle With You.

Recently my time's been spent playing with the Beovox 5700, this is a B&O speaker using the HF2000, MD/F500 and a Phillips AD1056 / W8 10" woofer with ABR. B&O used a different crossover frequency to Celestion, the 66's cross at 500/5000, the 5700's 600/6000. As stereo speakers I far prefer the 66 crossover and T1600, but the 5700 crossover does reduce the resonance issues apparent with the 66 crossover. The resonance is still there but is less obvious in vocals, so although I prefer the 66 crossover for music the 5700 is more appropriate as a centre speaker. This is a result I'm very happy with as the baffle design of the 5700 make it a prime candidate as a centre.

It's still early days for the 5700, so far I've recapped them with Mundorfs and changed the stuffing for the foam stuffing used by Celestion. I think there's plenty of potential to improve the inductor layout of the crossover;

I'll also replace the HF2000 with the SEAS 19TFF. Once this is done I'll suspend the 5700 above the TV as being between the front speakers and in front of the fire place is a compromised location to say the least.

I've also been playing with the UL8's replacing the HF1000 with the SEAS 27TFF tweeter, they're getting pretty close now, just fine tuning the mix of poly props, electrolytic's and brands.

As for the 44's I think I'm done. The D5 mid's have been replaced with MD500's but I've decided not to build 66 clones to incorporate the ABR's. Instead I'll add a sealed sub, I've recently demo'd a REL Serie S5 which (in my room) took the bass to a level the 66's can't reach so for me this seems the better option.

Everything's coming together nicely, I watched American Sniper last night (a far better film than I was expecting) which was the first time I'd sat down and watched a film with all the new capacitors fully burnt in. I'm very happy to have a centre speaker back in formation and happy with the way all speakers are integrating, I still believe improvements can be made by fine tuning the capacitor choices and speaker placement but I feel like I'm on the home straight now.
    Last edited by DarrenHW; 28-02-2016 at 09:50.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Michael.

Hi Darren,

How are the Celestion Ditton 11s as rear speakers? How do they compare to the UL8s? I have a 5.1 system, so no surrounds, but thinking about using either 11s or UL6s for the rear.

Thanks,
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345