+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K-Billy’s Super Sounds of the 70’s.

I'm Darren.

Default K-Billy’s Super Sounds of the 70’s.

I joined AoS back in October 2013, I’d just bought an SL1200 with the view to modifying it, little did I realise then I’d spend the next 2 years trying to put a system together. It’s taken some time but I feel now that I have built up a collection of boxes that I’m happy to call my first HiFi. This has taken me so long primarily as I don’t have a huge amount of free time for HiFi but also because most of my equipment is vintage so I’ve had to wait for stuff to come up for sale at the right price. With the exception of the Oppo and the Nakamichi everything’s awaiting further servicing or modding so I thought I’d start a blog to document the (hopeful) evolution.

Starting at the top a 1966 Garrard 401 http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...hlight=garrard .

I’ve spent maybe £100 servicing it and £35 on the CTC Thrust base http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-40...item3f4fcbf32d. I also tried the XTC Thrust bearing but ultimately preferred the CTC, I felt both were quieter than the stock thrust pad but the XTC maybe had too little drag, the CTC I think sounds more like the original thrust pad with the advantage of reduced noise and less oil leakage. Jobs for the future include having the idler dressed and reinstalled with a new bearing, rewiring, having a second bearing serviced, possibly repainting and eventually sticking the face plate back down!

The arm is a Hadcock GH228 http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...hlight=garrard. I’ve replaced the arm tube with a Stainless Steel tube (~£5) to bring it to 242 spec. It currently has either a Shure M95HE or AT440MLa installed but I’m looking for a replacement cartridge at the moment. Depending on the choice of cartridge I can change the arm tube with relative ease to match the mass of the arm with the cartridge.

The plinth is still a work in process, the top plinth is a SlateDeck, the lower plinth is a piece of 40mm Italian slate I had cut to size and the feet came from Vic at TransFi http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-QUALI...item2a4ca3a88d. It sits on a Target wall shelf with Soundcare Superspikes under an off cut of Oak block board. I think I need to decouple the TT from the shelf as the shelf is pretty well coupled to the wall and any vibration through the wall is transferred through the stylus. I’ve not heard another Garrard so I have nothing to compare the slate plinth to but I really like what slate does especially when used with timber. Jobs for the future include, finalising the arm board material / design, having a new 40mm top plinth cut and decoupling from the wall shelf.

Next up the Croft PreAmp with Phono.

This is a recent arrival and I still need to find out whether it’s a Micro 2 or a Super Micro 2. Either way its a Croft, its utilitarian, has valves in it and I love it, it was the missing link in my analogue chain and it was only when I plugged this in I thought everything in my system clicked.

I don’t know what the future holds for the Croft whether it’s worth servicing / modding or whether money would be better spent on a new unit, either way for now I’m just enjoying it.

Quad 405 Mono-Blocks http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...modding-advice . I think for the price a Quad 405 can be bought for they’re an excellent bargain, servicing cost was approximately £80 per amp with the majority of that cost being supply caps and speaker protection. I only have one board installed per enclosure and will endeavor to modify the other boards to DCD 3 in the coming months (first attempt was a failure), try them with bridged with 2 boards and continue to search for another with a bronze heat sink.

Oppo 105D. This is a jack of all trades and despite being the most expensive item in the rack, I do consider it to be quite a bargain. Being a single unit it negates the need for many expensive wires, an MS Klotz interconnect per amplified channel, 1 x Audioquest Pearl HDMI (for Sky), 1 x cheap HDMI (to TV) and a network cable is all that I have connected.

From a HiFi perpective it’s a CD/SACD/HDCD/DVD-A/BD-A/FBA player, it has twin Sabre DAC’s, one 7 channel (which feed the Nakamichi) and one 2 channel which line out to the Croft. I use it as a pre into the Nak for AV duties and was using it as a pre into the Quad’s until the Croft arrived. The Croft makes far nicer music than the Oppo, it would seem after Marco brought round his Tisbury the other day that maybe the digital volume control lets the Oppo down.

From an AV perspective it’s a competent processor. I run Sky through it and this means I can use the internal DAC for audio and apply Darbee Visual Presence to the picture, this really does make a positive difference to Sky’s broadcast material and well worth the trade off for the occasional artefact. For BD’s I think it’s amazing as I said earlier the pre amp could be bettered but at this stage I’m happy with it as a pre amp for the Nakamichi.

Nakamichi AVP-1. If the Oppo’s “quite a bargain” then this was the sale of the century. For £400 I have absolutely no complaints with this amp. I had hoped this would replace the Quads to make a more streamlined system but ultimately I prefer the sound of the Quads for music so it will be staying in its AV role. I feel its strengths lend themselves more to AV than music, it’s quite neutral and transparent with a good dose of power but for me lacks the warmth of the Quads.

Celestion Ditton 44’s. I bought these after hearing Marco’s 66’s, I love what the 66’s do but I was looking for a more wallet friendly alternative and along came a pair of 44’s. I’ve put ~£100 into them, replacing the HF2000’s with SEAS 19TFF1’s, rewiring, recapping and lightly modifying the crossover. At one stage I had a pair of 44’s for front and a pair for rear speakers, I crossed them over to the sub at 40Hz and loved what they did with films. I think they make excellent AV speakers and would quite happily have them all the way round but unfortunately due to a room move around that’s no longer possible and so the quest for speakers continues.

Mains. A visit from Marco involving mains cables and cable management convinced me there would be benefits to installing a dedicated ring main. I’m in rented accommodation so limited to what I could do, my chosen solution was to install a dedicated 4mm ring main. I went with 4mm as it was the largest I could back feed into the consumer unit and went for a ring due to the fact that I couldn’t use larger cable.

Behind the rack I have this bank of MK un-switched sockets, many more sockets than I need but I wanted the redundancy as at the time I installed this boxes were going in an out on an almost weekly basis. Once everything is finalised I’ll remove all but two of the redundant sockets. I’m sure there are better solutions but all in this cost me ~£100 and I’d say it’s probably the best ~£100 I’ve spent on the system as a whole.

Bias Lighting, is provided by a 6500K LED strip light costing ~£10 (delivered) from eBay (this was a nightmare to photograph and is not really reflective of how it looks in real life).

To achieve the right level of luminescence I used insulation tape to cover LED’s until I had the right balance. No it may not be as close as possible to CIE D65, nor is it particularly user friendly to adjust the brightness but at ~£10 it’s VFM is hard to beat.

Why “K-Billy’s Super Sounds of the 70’s”?
    K-Billy is the DJ in Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dog’s played by Steven Wright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6f4ZXQCNVE
    I thought this was an appropriate title as my system is a combination of brand new AV and HiFi from the 70’s (admittedly my 401 was born in 1966 but they were still in production in the 70’s) and thought referencing this would show a link between music and movies. I’m a big fan of Tarantino soundtracks, growing up in rural Mid Wales in the 90’s didn’t provide the easiest gateway to new (to me) music. Tarantino’s soundtracks introduced me to a number of artists I would otherwise not have heard and possibly shaped my music taste for the future.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Neil.

Very nice

Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

all looking superb Darren. those lightings for the telly are great.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ben.

lovely looking set up you have there mate.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Darren.

Thanks gents.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ... those lightings for the telly are great.
    Yes they are, I'm very happy with the improvement in image quality / depth for such a small outlay, what are you using?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm Grant.

ive only got a small monitor in my system now. Ive seen Gazjams setup which i think he got from the states.(not sure) it is awesome a!d really brings up the defination and he says reduces eye strain. I dont watch a lot of films now and dont even have it running through the sound system these days. just didnt have room for a big screen . the system already thakes up the whole wall
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Darren.

Garry's thread was the catalyst for my bias lighting, I have no doubt the CinemaQuest lighting is better than the strip light I'm using and may investigate when I change the TV.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Rich.

Very nice and well considered system...
    Looks tidy too!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Darren.

Cheers Rich.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A nice and neat set up.

One thing though, were it mine I would locate your Quad 405 'monoblocks' directly behind each speaker. That way you can minimise the length of the speaker cable. I would also modify the input to the 405s so they can use a balanced-line feed from the preamp (assuming your pre has a balanced line output).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast