+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Croft Micro 25 Basic pre amp - advice

I'm Simon.

Default Croft Micro 25 Basic pre amp - advice

As I have already posted on AOS, my trusty Roksan Kandy KA1 integrated amplifier has developed a fault. Following a string of emails to potential repairers it appears that this may not be a cost effective repair (if I can find someone who can actually repair it).
    This has me thinking about a possible replacement. I already have a Roksan Kandy L3 power amplifier which started my search for a pre amp to pair with it. Following some (a lot) of online research the Croft 25 Micro Basic gets very good reviews, particuilary amongst Aos members. With this is mind, is anyone able to shed any light on a few questions I have.

1. Can I pair the croft basic with the solid state Roksan power amp?
    2. If so, will this have enough power to drive my Pmc FB1+ speakers as I'm led to believe these require a powerful am!p to drive them.
    3. What is the phono stage like on the croft? I am currently using a Graham Slee Era V gold and psu1 into the Roksan. However, to fund a new amp purchase I may need to sell this and use the onboard stage. Has anyone compared the two?

Sorry for all the questions but there isn't a Croft dealer within 100 miles of me so a demo is almost impossible. From what I have read about the sound the croft delivers I think I will like it but as always would appreciate any views from others whose hi fi experience is far greater than mine. Thanks Simon.

I'm Ben.

Have you spoken to roskan themselves? They checked over a kandy of mine about 5 years ago when it developed a fault.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    Have you spoken to roskan themselves? They checked over a kandy of mine about 5 years ago when it developed a fault.
    Contact Henley Designs https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/home-c1 UK Roksan distributor and they will be able to help.

Regards Neil

I'm howard.

The basic Croft does not contain the protection circuit so you need to turn them on and off in the correct sequence so you do not get a nasty thump through your speakers. I forgot which order tho

I'm Dave.

The Croft should do the job for you and it does have an excellent MM phono stage. Do bear in mind, however, that the Basic is no longer made, so s/hand is your only option.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm thread crapping again, but it's my experience of the Kandy that there's a whole raft of MUSICAL information you just haven't heard yet. Loads of 'Hifi noise' certainly, but not music, sorry.

My recommendation is perhaps a bit left field, but I'd look out for a half decent pro amp (Alesis RA300 or 500 are one possibility and of course the rather interesting Crown XLS-1500? as used and liked by jerry [Jandl100]) and use it with a passive preamp and external phono stage if necessary. Amps like this are very good sounding, believe it or not, have the low-bass control a wayward transmission line like the FB1 needs and should have no character of their own to stamp all over the music.

Apologies, but just my view on possibilities. A Croft Series 7 power amp won't have the bass control you need for a transmission line as the output impedance is rather high and the response of the speakers will be changed I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hayche View Post
    The basic Croft does not contain the protection circuit so you need to turn them on and off in the correct sequence so you do not get a nasty thump through your speakers. I forgot which order tho
    Preamp 'on' first, 'off' last.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfield View Post
    As I have already posted on AOS, my trusty Roksan Kandy KA1 integrated amplifier has developed a fault. Following a string of emails to potential repairers it appears that this may not be a cost effective repair (if I can find someone who can actually repair it).
    This has me thinking about a possible replacement. I already have a Roksan Kandy L3 power amplifier which started my search for a pre amp to pair with it. Following some (a lot) of online research the Croft 25 Micro Basic gets very good reviews, particuilary amongst Aos members. With this is mind, is anyone able to shed any light on a few questions I have.

1. Can I pair the croft basic with the solid state Roksan power amp?
    2. If so, will this have enough power to drive my Pmc FB1+ speakers as I'm led to believe these require a powerful am!p to drive them.
    3. What is the phono stage like on the croft? I am currently using a Graham Slee Era V gold and psu1 into the Roksan. However, to fund a new amp purchase I may need to sell this and use the onboard stage. Has anyone compared the two?

Sorry for all the questions but there isn't a Croft dealer within 100 miles of me so a demo is almost impossible. From what I have read about the sound the croft delivers I think I will like it but as always would appreciate any views from others whose hi fi experience is far greater than mine. Thanks Simon.
    What's the issue with the faulty amp? I repair amps and may be able to help.

I'm Simon.

Thanks all for the posts. Some news. One of the engineers i emailed got back to me today suggesting he may be able to repair the amp. Dropped off lunch time and had an update few hours later stating repair complete (faulty transistor/capacitor in the power supply). Now this should be good news, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed that I won't be 'shopping' for a new pre amp. I had already emailed Glen Croft who sadly confirmed my Roksan power amp is not a good match for the Croft pre.
    DSJR - I read your post with interest as I know nothing about passive pre amps. The power amps you suggested can be purchased for a relatively modest outlay but what passive pre would suit? And what differences am I likely to notice ? It may be that I am still on the lookout for new amplification but will at least have something to sell first!

I'm Martin.

You could keep the Croft pre and get a Croft 7 power amp. That's a good sound.

Dave's suggestion of a passive pre with a professional power amp like the Crown will be a bit more neutral in a 'studio control room' way. It really depends on your own tastes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast