+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Organising music on your HD.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Guys,
    Sorry to butt in as I'm an almost stranger to computer music (I've got EAC, but haven't a clue how to use it!), but there's been a parallel discussion about filing methods of physical formats in the spinning today thread.

I've asked Marcus to whip that out of there & stick it in a new thread for us. Though he hasn't done yet, he's promised to do it sometime today) I planned to let the discussion run it's course, so that someone might compile some sort of digest of ideas for the Library area.

This discussion is almost exactly the same, but with an importantly different flavour. Also of interest might be systems that don't work to some as systems that do? Any hints & tips for smoother running etc would be good too.

Maybe there should be two library articles (physical & virtual filing systems) - so if anyone wants to volunteer for the job..............or one of the jobs.............

Cheers

I'm Tony.

I tend to use AutoFlac now. (with EAC)

It takes a bit of setting up to get your tags and paths/filenames as you want but it saves a lot of time once it's configured:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...AutoFLAC.shtml

Drop in your CD, start Autoflac, wait for EAC to start and get the track titles and then click OK on Autoflac and it'll rip and convert to FLAC for you.

I was then using AlbumArtAggregator to go and grab the artwork jpeg from Amazon but for some reason that has stopped working, I assume Amazon have changed something that has broken it. Now I grab the artwork manually.

Cheers,
    Tony

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Sounds interesting Tony,I'll have a look.Thanks.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Sorry to butt in as I'm an almost stranger to computer music (I've got EAC, but haven't a clue how to use it!), but there's been a parallel discussion about filing methods of physical formats in the spinning today thread.

I've asked Marcus to whip that out of there & stick it in a new thread for us. Though he hasn't done yet, he's promised to do it sometime today) I planned to let the discussion run it's course, so that someone might compile some sort of digest of ideas for the Library area.

This discussion is almost exactly the same, but with an importantly different flavour. Also of interest might be systems that don't work to some as systems that do? Any hints & tips for smoother running etc would be good too.

Maybe there should be two library articles (physical & virtual filing systems) - so if anyone wants to volunteer for the job..............or one of the jobs.............

Cheers
    Best thing to do is get to grips with EAC, rip all the CD's, then throw all the discs into a box (or boxes) and lose them somewhere.

Chris

I'm Confused.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Moore View Post
    I tend to use AutoFlac now. (with EAC)

It takes a bit of setting up to get your tags and paths/filenames as you want but it saves a lot of time once it's configured:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...AutoFLAC.shtml

Drop in your CD, start Autoflac, wait for EAC to start and get the track titles and then click OK on Autoflac and it'll rip and convert to FLAC for you.

Cheers,
    Tony
    HI Tony,
    I have followed your advice above and it works great, IMO. However it has given me another problem which I wonder if you could advise on?
    I prefer to play my FLAC files on foobar but, whilst foorbar correctly identifies the CD and track information (RH column in Playlist window), the Artist etc. information (in the LH column) consists only of ? - ? Any ideas as to how I can correct this please?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Tony.

Hi Dave,

It sounds like your tagging strings are not correct in AutoFlac or EAC or they don't match up. I've just loaded fooboo to try out my music and I can see the Album/Artist ok for my music.

As an example my settings are:

AutoFlac:

Name:%A\%C\%A - %T - %C - %N
    Image: %A\%C\%A - %T - %C - %N

EAC:

Filename: %A\%C\%A - %T - %C - %N

Compression Options:

Additional commandline options: --best -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" %s

There are loads of other settings in EAC but as far as I can remember I just set them to whatever the guide document said.

Cheers,
    Tony

I'm Confused.

Hi Tony,
    Thanks very much for that - I appreciate you taking the time to take a look. I'll revisit my settings and see where I differ from you. I'm not really interested in track no. so I may leave that bit of code out.
    BTW can I ask what is the significance/effect of the --best in the Additional Commandline Options ?
    Thanks again,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Thanks for the input regarding AutoFLAC Tony - I've been messing about with my settings in EAC as a result, and now have the program automatically setting up filepaths now. Before this I used to set up the filepaths manually. So I'm a happy bunny

DaveK - I'd leave the track number bit in - some albums don't work musically if the running order is not correct.

Chris

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Chris,what do you mean by filepath and what was it you were doing manually that is now automatic?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

And another question! I was ripping some classical cd's to flac last night.The disc comes up on eac with 0-9 track numbers,but when played it's just one track for the whole album.Can I convert it back to 9 separate tracks again?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast