+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organising music on your HD.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default Organising music on your HD.

Having become the proud owner of a Drobo,I now need to use it properly! I can convert my cd's to FLAC using EAC no problem.What I would like to know is what people use to organise their music on the HD? i.e. by genre and name of band etc. Are there popular programs in use or do you just list them in folders? Any help appreciated.

Regards.

I'm Lee.

Mac or PC?

iTunes on both of course.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Pc.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Having become the proud owner of a Drobo,I now need to use it properly! I can convert my cd's to FLAC using EAC no problem.What I would like to know is what people use to organise their music on the HD? i.e. by genre and name of band etc. Are there popular programs in use or do you just list them in folders? Any help appreciated.

Regards.
    Hi Ali, like many others here, I've spent much time and effort of getting the right/best solution for this and have both a Drobo myself, and have used both Mac and PC and selection of music management tools.

More than happy to have a 'real' conversation as it will probabaly save us both time, so will PM you my contact number.
    Last edited by twelvebears; 22-09-2009 at 13:02.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Great,will phone tonight if that's ok.

I'm Neal.

Ali, EAC will do it for you.....I'll just check my settings and add them here....

Go into EAC options (F9)

Click Filname tab

You are presented with set of variables that you can use to arrange the structure of your music automatically.

IE I use this format:

%B\%D\%C\%N - %T

So each time I perform a rip the music get placed on my HDD in this order:

FreeDB Music Type; Artist; CD Title; Track Number; Track Title

Simples!
    Last edited by NRG; 22-09-2009 at 12:39.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers for that.I've not had the laptop connected to the net for ages,just bought some anti-virus to put on it.Will have a go tonight.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Steve for taking the time to chat and explain a few things.Most enlightening.Cheers Steve!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Just wanted to say a big thanks to Steve for taking the time to chat and explain a few things.Most enlightening.Cheers Steve!
    A pleasure. Sorry I had to rush a bit, the lad needed feeding post-footie and it was getting a bit late, plus I didn't want to burn it!
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Nick.

I'm with Neal on this. And Compilations under an 'artist' folder called 'Compilations'. It's extremely satisfying to have everything organised in that way - anything more complicated and you'll find yourself worrying about whether the genre's are right etc!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast