View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

1 12.50%
  • 3/10

2 25.00%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

0 0%
  • 7/10

0 0%
  • 8/10

2 25.00%
  • 9/10

1 12.50%
  • 10/10

2 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club, August 2015: Philip Glass – ‘Koyaanisqatsi’

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well as expected my choice turned out to polarise opinion - a 'marmite' choice.

Anyway thanks for listening (or trying to listen) to it. We all need something a little challenging in our lives.

10/10 from me, although the poll is now closed.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Nearly averaged 7 Barry, so not too bad.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Barry.

Very good , something I could put on repeat .
    I listened on Deezer to the original soundtrack album 46 mins.
    Deezer is free btw. I find it a bit more user friendly than Spotify , here is the link :-

http://www.deezer.com/album/231840

Sorry I missed the poll , 8/10.

I'm Graham.

HI all,
    Just joined the forum.
    Came across this post looking for some listening inspiration.
    Try listening to or preferably watching (on Blue-ray) "Powaqqatsi" by the same Composer and directed by Godfrey Reggio.It's currently available on Amazon:
    Koyaanisqqatsi and Powaqqatsi Blue-Ray bundle on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3)
    I confess I have a vested interest, I was one of the Directors of Photography on the film.
    The film is shot in slow mo throughout..it's quite mesmeric...OK , the music may be not to everyone's taste
    but in combination with the images, which it was written for, it becomes something more.
    Since that film, the Philip Glass's style of music has been copied and used on many films and tv productions, once you are aware of it, it springs up everywhere!
    Great forum!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Watchman View Post
    HI all,
    Just joined the forum.
    Came across this post looking for some listening inspiration.
    Try listening to or preferably watching (on Blue-ray) "Powaqqatsi" by the same Composer and directed by Godfrey Reggio.It's currently available on Amazon:
    Koyaanisqqatsi and Powaqqatsi Blue-Ray bundle on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3)
    I confess I have a vested interest, I was one of the Directors of Photography on the film.
    The film is shot in slow mo throughout..it's quite mesmeric...OK , the music may be not to everyone's taste
    but in combination with the images, which it was written for, it becomes something more.
    Since that film, the Philip Glass's style of music has been copied and used on many films and tv productions, once you are aware of it, it springs up everywhere!
    Great forum!
    I have both those DVDs Graham. It was seeing Koyaanisqqatsi on TV that introduced me to the music of Philip Glass and ultimately to my Album Club choice.

I prefer both watching/listening Koyannisqqatsi to Powaqqatsi, but to those who cannot stand the first, I doubt if they would be interested in the second. Both are mesmeric to watch, and as one of the Directors of Photography, may I offer you my congratulations!

And welcome to AoS!
    Barry

I'm Graham.

Thanks Barry,
    It was an interesting time in my career!
    Looks pretty good on Blue-ray I must say.
    Atb
    Graham

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123